U.S. Senate Passes Water Resources Development Act (WRDA) with Buy America Amendment Included.
The Merkley/Brown amendment #866 included in the legislation would ensure that American-made iron, steel, and manufactured goods are used in projects financed by a new Water Infrastructure Finance and Innovation Authority (WIFIA) program whenever they are available and competitively priced.
The WRDA bill includes a new financing mechanism to support loan guarantees and low-interest loans for flood control, water supply, waste water, and other projects. Without the Merkley amendment, these projects would be free to use goods from China, India, and other foreign suppliers where U.S. producers do not have reciprocal market access.
Buy America laws establish a procurement preference for goods that are made in America when they are available in a sufficient quality and quantity and are competitively priced in the global marketplace. Buy America preferences include common-sense waivers to alleviate any short-term market limitations when unreasonable cost, limited product availability, or other factors would be an impediment to a project’s completion.
Read full details of the WRDA bill.
Related recent Blogs
- It wasn't all weather: What's behind the weak manufacturing jobs report. • by admin • 03/07/2014
- A Berry good story on American-made footwear • by mmcmullan • 03/06/2014
- White House economic adviser Gene Sperling shares words of wisdom on his way out • by TGarland • 03/05/2014
- EPI: Address currency manipulation and you address the jobs deficit • by mmcmullan • 03/05/2014
- A first look at the president's budget proposal for 2015 • by mmcmullan • 03/04/2014
- The U.S. needs a stronger domestic supply chain in the event of an attack • by TGarland • 03/04/2014
- Campaigns and political parties take note: We've got the key to attracting voters • by LDonia • 03/03/2014
- And the award goes to ... American workers • by TGarland • 03/03/2014
- March 3, 2014: Cold weather and cold Oscars pizza go together • by mmcmullan • 03/03/2014
- 86th Annual Academy Awards: A glimpse at Los Angeles' manufacturing sector • by TGarland • 03/01/2014