U.S. Senate Passes Water Resources Development Act (WRDA) with Buy America Amendment Included.
The Merkley/Brown amendment #866 included in the legislation would ensure that American-made iron, steel, and manufactured goods are used in projects financed by a new Water Infrastructure Finance and Innovation Authority (WIFIA) program whenever they are available and competitively priced.
The WRDA bill includes a new financing mechanism to support loan guarantees and low-interest loans for flood control, water supply, waste water, and other projects. Without the Merkley amendment, these projects would be free to use goods from China, India, and other foreign suppliers where U.S. producers do not have reciprocal market access.
Buy America laws establish a procurement preference for goods that are made in America when they are available in a sufficient quality and quantity and are competitively priced in the global marketplace. Buy America preferences include common-sense waivers to alleviate any short-term market limitations when unreasonable cost, limited product availability, or other factors would be an impediment to a project’s completion.
Read full details of the WRDA bill.
Related recent Blogs
- Congress Still Hasn't Made a Fix to the Highway Trust Fund • by mmcmullan • 07/30/2014
- UCLA Flood: A Real Life of Example of What Happens When We Ignore Our Infrastructure • by elizabethbb • 07/30/2014
- Candidate Watch: We Need a Few More Details, Terri Lynn Land • by elizabethbb • 07/29/2014
- Fact Check: Standing Up Against Unfair Trade, Kentucky Edition • by TGarland • 07/25/2014
- Strengthened Workforce Training is Great — and We Can Do More • by elizabethbb • 07/23/2014
- Americans Want Trade Agreements that Do Not Undermine Manufacturing Jobs, New Poll Finds • by TGarland • 07/23/2014
- Highlights from AAM's Trip to Detroit for Netroots Nation 2014 • by elizabethbb • 07/23/2014
- Toxic Fast Food: Just the Latest Scandal Involving Made-in-China Products. • by elizabethbb • 07/22/2014
- Foxx Calls on Congress to Pass Long-Term Fix to the Highway Trust Fund • by TGarland • 07/21/2014
- Back From Detroit, Eyes on Washington • by elizabethbb • 07/21/2014