U.S. Manufacturing Sector Gains 2,000 Jobs in September: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) Statement.
U.S. Manufacturing Gains 2,000 Jobs in September 2013.
#AAMeter Remains Unchanged at +12,000 Jobs.
The latest monthly U.S. jobs report shows America's manufacturing sector gained 2,000 jobs in September 2013. However, for all of 2013, the U.S. has gained only 12,000 manufacturing jobs.
Commented Scott Paul, President of the Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM):
“In manufacturing, we’ve been treading water for nearly 18 months now. Yet no one in Washington seems to care.
"The September jobs report shows that private sector job growth, and manufacturing in particular, is too weak to put the U.S. on a sound fiscal footing or to get the middle class back on track.
"It’s time for Congress to stop manufacturing crises and deal with our real manufacturing crisis. Washington needs to put into place policies that will get America back to work. The neglect is glaring: 70,000 structurally deficient bridges. Math and science achievement down compared to other industrialized nations. And our economic competitors are not standing still.
"This is no way to run a country or to support the private sector's efforts to create jobs. And here’s the kicker: the October numbers could be even worse."
During the recent government shutdown, AAM released it's own Jobs Report, a compilation of firsthand accounts from Americans who are struggling to find work. Paul also published an op-ed in The Hill advising President Obama that "there’s plenty he could do on his own to encourage manufacturing’s return."
President Obama set a goal of creating 1 million new manufacturing jobs in his second term. To follow the president's progress, the Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) continually updates a jobs tracker, the #AAMeter, based on monthly jobs data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS).
AAM has released a new book, 'ReMaking America,' that provides a blueprint for an American manufacturing resurgence.
Related recent Blogs
- March 7, 2014: Weak #MFG job growth and a big trade deficit earn Obama the saddest of trombones • by mmcmullan • 03/07/2014
- It wasn't all weather: What's behind the weak manufacturing jobs report. • by admin • 03/07/2014
- A Berry good story on American-made footwear • by mmcmullan • 03/06/2014
- White House economic adviser Gene Sperling shares words of wisdom on his way out • by TGarland • 03/05/2014
- EPI: Address currency manipulation and you address the jobs deficit • by mmcmullan • 03/05/2014
- A first look at the president's budget proposal for 2015 • by mmcmullan • 03/04/2014
- The U.S. needs a stronger domestic supply chain in the event of an attack • by TGarland • 03/04/2014
- Campaigns and political parties take note: We've got the key to attracting voters • by LDonia • 03/03/2014
- And the award goes to ... American workers • by TGarland • 03/03/2014
- March 3, 2014: Cold weather and cold Oscars pizza go together • by mmcmullan • 03/03/2014