U.S. Manufacturing Sector Gains 14,000 Jobs in August: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) Statement
U.S. Manufacturing Gains 14,000 jobs in August 2013.
#AAMeter Registers a Weak +12,000 jobs. (This is due to a large downward revision in July. Auto manufacturers laid off way more workers than expected in July, then hired them back in August -- a traditional and seasonal trend.)
Commented Scott Paul, President of the Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM):
“A record monthly trade deficit with China on Wednesday, followed by a weak jobs report today and revisions to previous unemployment figures all point to the same conclusion – a manufacturing jobs resurgence doesn’t exist, and it hasn’t for some time. Thanks to Washington’s inaction, we’ve let a potential recovery for the sector fizzle out, at least for now.
"I believe such a resurgence is possible, but only with smart public policy support: investing in infrastructure and innovation, taking on currency manipulators, and revamping vocational education.
"Summer jobs numbers in manufacturing are often volatile with temporary layoffs in the auto sector, but one trend is clear: Men and women looking for manufacturing jobs are having a hard time finding them. The 'skills gap' is, for now, still a myth. And President Obama’s goal of creating one million new manufacturing jobs is going nowhere. Congress must do more to help, but so must the Administration."
In a recent op-ed in Real Clear Politics, Paul urged Congress and the Administration to undertake a competitiveness-and-jobs agenda.
President Obama set a goal of creating 1 million new manufacturing jobs in his second term. To follow the president's progress, the Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) continually updates a jobs tracker, the #AAMeter, based on monthly jobs data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS).
AAM has released a new book, 'ReMaking America,' that provides a blueprint for an American manufacturing resurgence.
Related recent Blogs
- Treasury decision on China currency will cost U.S. jobs: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) Statement. • by scapozzola • 04/15/2014
- Gathered in the USA • by TGarland • 04/15/2014
- OPINION: Fix the vulnerable defense industrial base • by mmcmullan • 04/14/2014
- April 14, 2014: Opinions, opinions, and Peeps • by mmcmullan • 04/14/2014
- Fashion Friday: Accessorizing the American-made way • by LRaup • 04/11/2014
- Manufacturing Jobs & #EqualPay • by LRaup • 04/11/2014
- April 11, 2014: Cherry blossoms! • by mmcmullan • 04/11/2014
- Rep. Sandy Levin talks currency and the TPP • by mmcmullan • 04/10/2014
- Throwback Thursday: Obama promises 1 million new manufacturing jobs • by TGarland • 04/10/2014
- Made in Elma, New York: A special delivery from Mark Andol • by TGarland • 04/09/2014