U.S. Departments of Transportation and Commerce forge partnership to boost domestic manufacturing
U.S. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood and Acting Commerce Secretary Rebecca Blank announced yesterday that their agencies will be partnering to help revitalize the U.S. railway manufacturing sector and encourage the creation of domestic manufacturing jobs.
According to a Department of Commerce press release, “The Department of Commerce’s Manufacturing Extension Partnership (MEP) will help to ensure manufacturers meet the U.S. Department of Transportation’s (U.S. DOT) strict ‘Buy America’ and ‘Buy American’ standards, connecting U.S. manufacturers and suppliers for work on highways, railways and transit projects, and in the process help to create jobs”
This is great news for American manufacturers. They stand to benefit from domestic transit projects, including the Obama Administration’s planned investments in high-speed passenger rail.
In yesterday’s statement, Secretary LaHood praised this initiative for “strengthening our economy by providing opportunities for American companies and their employees to build our transportation system here at home” and Acting Secretary Blank called it “a win for workers and communities across America.” We agree.
Related recent Blogs
- VIDEO: Concerns about America's defense industrial base • by scapozzola • 05/22/2013
- CNBC: China investing in U.S. • by scapozzola • 05/22/2013
- In Indiana, ongoing concerns about subsidized auto parts from China and Japan • by scapozzola • 05/22/2013
- RADIO: AAM's Scott Paul on Leslie Marshall Radio Show, May 20, 2013 • by scapozzola • 05/21/2013
- Shoring up our security means addressing the China challenge • by mmcmullan • 05/20/2013
- Quote of the Day from Caterpillar's Doug Oberhelman • by LDonia • 05/20/2013
- President Obama visits Baltimore factory to promote infrastructure investment as a means of revitalizing the middle class • by LDonia • 05/17/2013
- Five reasons you should be concerned about the U.S. military's reliance on foreign manufacturers. • by LDonia • 05/16/2013
- Looking for a manufacturing job? Consider heading to one of these ten metro areas! • by mmcmullan • 05/16/2013
- National Retail Federation dismisses global safety plan for garment factories while Cambodian shoe factory collapses. • by LDonia • 05/16/2013