Unemployment Rate Down; Factory Jobs Stalled: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) Statement
The latest monthly jobs report was issued this morning. The U.S. economy added 140,000 jobs to private payrolls in November, and the unemployment rate dipped to 8.6%. The U.S. manufacturing sector gained 2,000 jobs.
CLICK HERE to download a 60-second MP3
from Scott Paul, Executive Director of the Alliance for American
Manufacturing (AAM), regarding the weak monthly gains of the U.S.
manufacturing sector. Audio clip is intended for all media broadcasts;
please include attribution when airing.
Said Scott Paul, Executive Director of the Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM):
"While a drop in the unemployment rate is always welcome news, I remain concerned about the types of jobs that are being created, as well as the jobs that we are still losing. Employment in manufacturing, which had seen nearly 250,000 jobs added from January 2010 to June of this year, is now stalled. The sector added just 2,000 jobs in November, and manufacturing employment is virtually unchanged since July. If we want to rebuild the middle class in America, we need strong employment growth in manufacturing.
"I hope lawmakers and the Administration do not get a false sense of security when they look at the drop in the unemployment rate, because the underlying picture isn’t so rosy. That’s why investing in infrastructure, piecing together a national manufacturing strategy, and focusing our tax, procurement, and trade policies on boosting aggregate demand in our nation are so important."
Related recent Blogs
- Nanette Lepore's New Shoe • by scapozzola • 05/24/2013
- May 24, 2013 Headlines: U.S.-EU trade deal exemptions, investing in U.S. manufacturing, and more. • by LRaup • 05/24/2013
- Washington State Bridge Collapse Illustrates Perils of Failing Infrastructure. • by scapozzola • 05/24/2013
- Reps. Daniel Lipinski (D-IL) and Michael Grimm (R-NY) form new Congressional Public Transportation Caucus. • by scapozzola • 05/23/2013
- Homeland Security and Gov. Tom Ridge • by scapozzola • 05/23/2013
- CNBC: Is a Chinese construction firm benefiting from its Beijing connection? • by scapozzola • 05/23/2013
- May 23, 2013 Headlines: Gains in the job market, small businesses manufacturing in the U.S.A., and more. • by LRaup • 05/23/2013
- VIDEO: Concerns about America's defense industrial base • by scapozzola • 05/22/2013
- CNBC: China investing in U.S. • by scapozzola • 05/22/2013
- In Indiana, ongoing concerns about subsidized auto parts from China and Japan • by scapozzola • 05/22/2013