Two more House Republicans cosponsor H.R.639 (China currency bill), but there are still some surprising stragglers, too...
As we reported last week, Rep. Mario Diaz-Balart (R-FL) has criticized President Obama for not taking a harder line on China. Rep. Diaz-Balart says he finds it "really frustrating" to see "President Obama's refusal to address the Chinese currency manipulation issue."
We pointed out that, surprisingly, Rep. Diaz-Balart has not signed on as a co-sponsor of House legislation (H.R.639, "The Currency Reform for Fair Trade Act"), which would address China's currency manipulation. 62 other House Republicans had already signed on as co-sponsors of the bill.
In the week since Rep. Diaz-Balart criticized the president regarding China currency, he has not signed on as a cosponsor of H.R.639. However, two more House Republicans have cosponsored: Rep. Michael Grimm (R-NY) and Rep. Mike Coffman (R-CO).
The Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) believes China's undervalued currency is a serious problem for U.S. manufacturers and their workers. AAM congratulates Reps. Grimm and Coffman for taking a strong stance on China's mercantilism, and thanks them for cosponsoring H.R.639 and standing up for American manufacturing.
AAM still hopes that Rep. Diaz-Balart will find some consistency on this issue and join the growing number (64, as of Grimm and Coffman) of House Republicans who are already cosponsors of H.R.639.
Unfortunately, all this is somewhat moot until House Speaker John Boehner allows H.R.639 to come to the floor for a vote. In addition to the 64 House Republicans who have cosponsored the bill, Rep. Alan West (R-FL) says that the bill deserves a chance because the U.S. is "in an economic war with China."
When asked by radio host Laura Ingraham is "John Boehner wrong to block the consideration of this bill," Rep. West responded: "I think we need to consider that bill because look at what's happening. China is manipulating their currency."
Regrettably, Rep. West is not yet a cosponsor of the currency bill, either...
Related recent Blogs
- RADIO: AAM's Scott Paul on Leslie Marshall Radio Show, May 20, 2013 • by scapozzola • 05/21/2013
- Shoring up our security means addressing the China challenge • by mmcmullan • 05/20/2013
- Quote of the Day from Caterpillar's Doug Oberhelman • by LDonia • 05/20/2013
- May 20, 2013 Headlines: Manufacturing & social media, growth of the U.S. economy, and more. • by LRaup • 05/20/2013
- President Obama visits Baltimore factory to promote infrastructure investment as a means of revitalizing the middle class • by LDonia • 05/17/2013
- Five reasons you should be concerned about the U.S. military's reliance on foreign manufacturers. • by LDonia • 05/16/2013
- Looking for a manufacturing job? Consider heading to one of these ten metro areas! • by mmcmullan • 05/16/2013
- National Retail Federation dismisses global safety plan for garment factories while Cambodian shoe factory collapses. • by LDonia • 05/16/2013
- OPINION: Aren't we better off buying safe, Made-in-USA products? • by scapozzola • 05/16/2013
- May 16, 2013 Headlines: factory collapses in Cambodia, U.S. retail industry dismisses plan for safer working conditions, & more • by LDonia • 05/16/2013