The troops will finally wear American-made sneakers
Late Friday afternoon, the Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) received very exciting news from Rep. Michael Michaud regarding American-made shoes: the Department of Defense (DOD) will comply with the Berry Amendment to ensure that all service members purchase #MadeinUSA shoes with their footwear allowance. Said Michaud:
'(This) decision is a tremendous victory for American manufacturers who, day-in and day-out, produce high-quality goods – like New Balance sneakers. It only makes sense that we equip our country’s bravest men and women with products made by some of our country’s hardest working manufacturers. Today’s decision is truly a win-win for everyone and is an example of the kind of action we can take to ensure we have the backs of American workers.'
The Berry Amendment, you’ll recall, is a longstanding rule that directs DOD to buy domestic textile products when equipping our troops. But there was a loophole in it that allowed the purchase of athletic shoes made overseas based on a faulty, we-just-don’t-make-it-in-America logic. That's silly, though, because there are still shoes made in America.
We couldn’t agree more. Like Rep. Michaud says: This is a win-win for everyone. We'll be picking up another pair of New Balance sneakers to celebrate!
Related recent Blogs
- U.S. Named Among “Rising Global Stars” in Manufacturing • by elizabethbb • 08/20/2014
- If America Won’t Invest in America’s Infrastructure, China Will • by elizabethbb • 08/19/2014
- Yes, Manufacturing Jobs Are Coming Back. But Will Progress Happen Fast Enough? • by elizabethbb • 08/18/2014
- No Electricity Needed for Corter Leather & Cloth • by elizabethbb • 08/15/2014
- Improving Our Railways: A Key Part of Rebuilding America • by elizabethbb • 08/14/2014
- Five Tests Walmart Must Pass to Show its 'Made In America' Street Cred • by spaul • 08/13/2014
- More Evidence the "Jobs Recovery" Isn’t All It’s Cracked Up to Be • by elizabethbb • 08/12/2014
- More Work to Do, Indeed • by elizabethbb • 08/11/2014
- August 11, 2014: Chinese Textile Manufacturing ... in the Carolinas • by mmcmullan • 08/11/2014
- Maury’s clothing line: “Made in America, without compromise.” • by mmcmullan • 08/08/2014