Trade case against China makes headlines
The Obama Administration announced today that it was filing a trade case at the WTO regarding China's imposition of duties totaling more than $3 billion on U.S. auto exports.
The trade case made for big news, in part because it signaled President Obama's election year commitment to tackling some of the more thorny issues in U.S.-China trade.
The announcement was widely reported by major news and wire services.
Just as significantly, a statement by the Alliance for American Manufacturing's (AAM) executive director, Scott Paul, was quoted throughout the press:
BLOOMBERG NEWS reporters Jennifer Freedman and William McQuillen quoted Paul on the significance of such a trade case:
“The deck in China is stacked against American automakers and workers, and this case will help to level the playing field.”
REUTERS acknowledged the political importance of the case:
"American workers and manufacturers strongly support President Obama's decision to launch a trade enforcement action against China's unfair auto tariffs."
INDUSTRYWEEK's Josh Cable cited Paul's quote on the lack of a level playing field for U.S. manufacturers:
"Less than 1% of the estimated 18 million vehicles sold in China last year were made in America, despite the fact that the Detroit Three brands are growing more popular every day."
BIZJOURNALS' Kent Hoover quoted Paul on other pending U.S. trade disputes with China:
“Chinese auto parts are surging into America, aided by Chinese government subsidies,” Paul said. “Unless strong steps are taken now to also defend American auto parts jobs, the efforts of the auto companies, unions, and the administration to revitalize the American auto sector could be washed away in a matter of a few years."
Related recent Blogs
- Rep.Tim Ryan leads effort to prioritize U.S. manufacturing in tax reform discussions • by TGarland • 12/20/2013
- QOTD: AAM President Scott Paul talks young workers in manufacturing • by TGarland • 12/19/2013
- December 19, 2013: New gig for Baucus? • by mmcmullan • 12/19/2013
- ITC made the right call on hot-rolled steel imports • by mmcmullan • 12/18/2013
- WE ARE ... made in Pennsylvania • by TGarland • 12/18/2013
- December 18, 2013: Selling the trade agenda • by mmcmullan • 12/18/2013
- ITC Rules in Favor of America's Steel Industry: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) Statement • by scapozzola • 12/17/2013
- AAM photo caption contest: What are Obama and his trade team talking about? • by mmcmullan • 12/17/2013
- New report shows manufacturing is rebounding, but could use a legislative leg up • by LDonia • 12/17/2013
- ITC ruling on hot-rolled steel products coming today • by mmcmullan • 12/17/2013