Town Halls Show Manufacturing Matters
Last night the 2010 "Keep it Made in America" tour made stops in Merrillville, Indiana and Wayne, Pennsylvania. Both events were a great success and, more importantly, helped show the importance of manufacturing and job creation.
At the Merrillville event, White House Senior Counselor on Manufacturing Policy Ron Bloom discussed how manufacturing creates value. The Post-Tribune covered the event, and quotes Bloom, "Running money in a circle does not create value. The idea of making something is truly an extraordinary opportunity."
Panelists at the Indiana "manufacturing summit" also discussed the need for education and vocational training, especially for adults who have lost their jobs and need to be retrained for advanced manufacturing positions that have now populated the sector.
Meanwhile, in Wayne, Pennsylvania, the second town hall meeting of the week also offered a strong emphasis on jobs. The Delaware County Daily Times reported on what the political candidates present at the event had to say about issues surrounding manufacturing in the United States. The Times quoted Pat Meehan, the Republican candidate for Pennsylvania's 7th Congressional District as saying, "People are hurting and the reason they are hurting is because they are out of work." Meehan's incumbent opponent Rep. Bryan Lentz discussed the importance of investing in infrastructure and education, while 6th Congressional District Democratic candidate Mana Trivedi talked about the need to end China's currency manipulation.
Haven't been able to make it to an event? You can watch the Wayne, PA event here.
Stay tuned as the tour heads to Asheville, NC tonight.
Related recent Blogs
- Shoring up our security means addressing the China challenge • by mmcmullan • 05/20/2013
- Quote of the Day from Caterpillar's Doug Oberhelman • by LDonia • 05/20/2013
- May 20, 2013 Headlines: Manufacturing & social media, growth of the U.S. economy, and more. • by LRaup • 05/20/2013
- President Obama visits Baltimore factory to promote infrastructure investment as a means of revitalizing the middle class • by LDonia • 05/17/2013
- It's Fashion Friday, but NoCargo carries more than just American-made clothing! • by LDonia • 05/17/2013
- May 17, 2013 Headlines: Strengthening our national security, focusing on jobs, and more. • by LRaup • 05/17/2013
- Five reasons you should be concerned about the U.S. military's reliance on foreign manufacturers. • by LDonia • 05/16/2013
- Looking for a manufacturing job? Consider heading to one of these ten metro areas! • by mmcmullan • 05/16/2013
- National Retail Federation dismisses global safety plan for garment factories while Cambodian shoe factory collapses. • by LDonia • 05/16/2013
- OPINION: Aren't we better off buying safe, Made-in-USA products? • by scapozzola • 05/16/2013