The top 10 American-made cars
Cars.com’s Kicking Tires blog has released its annual American-Made Index ranking the top 10 most “American-made” vehicles. This year, the Ford F-150 regained its number one spot after losing it to the Toyota Camry in 2008.
Determining the most “American-made” is incredibly difficult in today’s global economy. Cars.com's American-made index highlights cars that are built in the U.S., have a high percentage of domestic parts, and have strong sales with consumers in the U.S.
Ford, a member of the Big Three, lands at the top but a foreign company, Toyota, comes in second with the Camry. Out of the top 10 cars ranked in this year’s American-made index, five belong to auto manufacturers in Detroit. The other five belong to Toyota and Honda.
Though some foreign automakers build cars in U.S. cities, the parts are imported. The American Automobile Labeling Act (AALA) requires that all cars label the percent of domestic parts used in each vehicle.
The Alliance for American Manufacturing's (AAM) upcoming book, ReMaking America, highlights the importance of the U.S. auto industry for the overall U.S. economy.
Image by Flickr user Michael Gill, used following Creative Commons guidelines.
Related recent Blogs
- What's funding the military buildup in China? • by TGarland • 04/23/2014
- Quote Of The Day: "It's time the administration stiffened its spine" on trade issues • by mmcmullan • 04/22/2014
- Foxx takes to the road to push for transportation fixes • by mmcmullan • 04/17/2014
- Obama vs. Bush: Who actually made more progress in revaluing China’s yuan? • by scapozzola • 04/16/2014
- Treasury decision on China currency will cost U.S. jobs: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) Statement. • by scapozzola • 04/15/2014
- Gathered in the USA • by TGarland • 04/15/2014
- OPINION: Fix the vulnerable defense industrial base • by mmcmullan • 04/14/2014
- April 14, 2014: Opinions, opinions, and Peeps • by mmcmullan • 04/14/2014
- Fashion Friday: Accessorizing the American-made way • by LRaup • 04/11/2014
- Manufacturing Jobs & #EqualPay • by LRaup • 04/11/2014