The top 10 American-made cars
Cars.com’s Kicking Tires blog has released its annual American-Made Index ranking the top 10 most “American-made” vehicles. This year, the Ford F-150 regained its number one spot after losing it to the Toyota Camry in 2008.
Determining the most “American-made” is incredibly difficult in today’s global economy. Cars.com's American-made index highlights cars that are built in the U.S., have a high percentage of domestic parts, and have strong sales with consumers in the U.S.
Ford, a member of the Big Three, lands at the top but a foreign company, Toyota, comes in second with the Camry. Out of the top 10 cars ranked in this year’s American-made index, five belong to auto manufacturers in Detroit. The other five belong to Toyota and Honda.
Though some foreign automakers build cars in U.S. cities, the parts are imported. The American Automobile Labeling Act (AALA) requires that all cars label the percent of domestic parts used in each vehicle.
The Alliance for American Manufacturing's (AAM) upcoming book, ReMaking America, highlights the importance of the U.S. auto industry for the overall U.S. economy.
Image by Flickr user Michael Gill, used following Creative Commons guidelines.
Related recent Blogs
- Congress Still Hasn't Made a Fix to the Highway Trust Fund • by mmcmullan • 07/30/2014
- UCLA Flood: A Real Life of Example of What Happens When We Ignore Our Infrastructure • by elizabethbb • 07/30/2014
- Candidate Watch: We Need a Few More Details, Terri Lynn Land • by elizabethbb • 07/29/2014
- Fact Check: Standing Up Against Unfair Trade, Kentucky Edition • by TGarland • 07/25/2014
- Strengthened Workforce Training is Great — and We Can Do More • by elizabethbb • 07/23/2014
- Americans Want Trade Agreements that Do Not Undermine Manufacturing Jobs, New Poll Finds • by TGarland • 07/23/2014
- Highlights from AAM's Trip to Detroit for Netroots Nation 2014 • by elizabethbb • 07/23/2014
- Toxic Fast Food: Just the Latest Scandal Involving Made-in-China Products. • by elizabethbb • 07/22/2014
- Drink Up with a Made in America Tervis Tumbler • by elizabethbb • 07/21/2014
- Foxx Calls on Congress to Pass Long-Term Fix to the Highway Trust Fund • by TGarland • 07/21/2014