TODAY: Senate hearing on U.S. Defense Industrial Base
The Emerging Threats and Capabilities Subcommittee of the Senate Armed Services Committee is holding a hearing this afternoon on the health and status of the defense industrial base and its science and technology-related elements.
Panelists include: Honorable Frank Kendall, Principal Deputy Under Secretary of Defense for Acquisition, Technology, and Logistics; Honorable Zachary J. Lemnios, Assistant Secretary of Defense for Research and Engineering; Brett B. Lambert,
Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defense, Manufacturing and Industrial Base Policy; Norman R. Augustine, Retired Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, Lockheed Martin Corporation; Dr. Jacques S. Gansler, Director, Center for Public Policy and Private Enterprise, University of Maryland School of Public Policy; and, Mr. Philip A. Odeen, Member, Defense Business Board
Task Group Chair, Assessing the Defense Industrial Base.
Live Updates from the hearing:
Sen. Robert Portman (R-OH): "Our industrial base hasn’t been immune to everything that is happening in the economy…the defense industrial base today is as fragile as it has ever been...We have challenges that we need to address, and I understand that some of these are going to take time to solve."
Norman Augustine, Retired CEO of Lockheed Martin: "You can’t win a war with a service economy"
Related recent Blogs
- A bad time to sideline trade talks • by mmcmullan • 12/04/2013
- Infrastructure investment means job creation • by TGarland • 12/04/2013
- China trade deficit on pace for new record, but will anyone notice? Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) Statement. • by scapozzola • 12/04/2013
- What to do with abandoned factories? Bring in the artists! • by LDonia • 12/03/2013
- Surprise, surprise? Americans still say job creation should be top priority • by mmcmullan • 12/03/2013
- December 3, 2013: One number shows a #MFG uptick. Does that mean more #MFG jobs? • by mmcmullan • 12/03/2013
- Fmr. Transportaion Secretary Ray LaHood urges infrastructure investment • by TGarland • 12/02/2013
- The Computer Wore Heels: Check out "Top Secret Rosies" • by mmcmullan • 12/02/2013
- The Veep heads to Asia, while Michigan Democrats and automakers press the "currency issue" in TPP talks • by TGarland • 11/27/2013
- G+ Hangout postponed! • by LDonia • 11/26/2013