There's still manufacturing in...San Francisco?...
At ManufactureThis, we're fans of the iconic city of San Francisco. Night-time fog, Golden Gate Park, the famous Golden Gate Bridge, steep hills, Haight-Ashbury... This is western Americana-- a worthy tourist destination.
But did you know that San Francisco still has manufacturing?
Thanks to a timely email from Cynthia Cravens, we can tell you that the city on the bay still has some local manufacturers.
Just wanted to let you know what we're doing in San Francisco (now that we've recovered from the shock that our Bay Bridge was built with Chinese steel). We now have an initiative to promote light manufacturing in San Francisco, and it seems to be working. And, we're joining with other urban centers to promote manufacturing within American cities.
Local manufacturers represent some of the most diverse, innovative businesses in San Francisco. They design and manufacture products for consumers, specialty products for other industries, or are established contract manufacturers. The businesses span a wide range, from traditional manufacturers who have been in operation for more than 100 years to entrepreneurial start-up manufacturers who have chosen to establish themselves in San Francisco in just the past year. But most of all, these companies all share an increasingly uncommon trait – local manufacturing.
Read more about SF MADE.
(Photographs courtesy of Michael Capozzola)
Related recent Blogs
- December 4, 2013: Familiar trade deficit doldrums • by mmcmullan • 12/04/2013
- China trade deficit on pace for new record, but will anyone notice? Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) Statement. • by scapozzola • 12/04/2013
- What to do with abandoned factories? Bring in the artists! • by LDonia • 12/03/2013
- Surprise, surprise? Americans still say job creation should be top priority • by mmcmullan • 12/03/2013
- December 3, 2013: One number shows a #MFG uptick. Does that mean more #MFG jobs? • by mmcmullan • 12/03/2013
- Fmr. Transportaion Secretary Ray LaHood urges infrastructure investment • by TGarland • 12/02/2013
- The Computer Wore Heels: Check out "Top Secret Rosies" • by mmcmullan • 12/02/2013
- December 2, 2013: American-made holiday shopping • by LDonia • 12/02/2013
- 51 American-made holiday gifts from around the country • by LDonia • 11/27/2013
- The Veep heads to Asia, while Michigan Democrats and automakers press the "currency issue" in TPP talks • by TGarland • 11/27/2013