Team USA's Opening Ceremony Uniforms - Made in China
In just over two weeks, athletes from around the world will flood into Olympic Stadium, London, for the opening ceremonies of the 2012 Summer Olympis. Adorned in outfits meant to visually represent their home countries, the athletes will exude patriotism as they make their way around the venue, smiling and waving proudly to screaming fans of all nationalities.
So it may surprise some to learn that ABC News discovered Team USA’s opening ceremony uniforms, designed by Ralph Lauren, were made…in China.
ABC interviewed fashion designer Nanette Lepore, who is known for making her clothing in the U.S.:
Why shouldn’t we have pride, not only in the American athletes, but in the American manufacturers and laborers who are the backbone of our country?”
Lepore also mentioned that, not only could the clothing have been manufactured in the United States, it could have been done more cost effectively.
ABC reached out to both Ralph Lauren and the U.S. Olympic Committee in search of answers about the foreign-made garb. In return, the network received a cryptic response from the committee:
The U.S. Olympic team is privately funded and we’re grateful for the support of our sponsors. We’re proud of our partnership with Ralph Lauren, an iconic American company.”
While this doesn’t answer ABC’s questions, it may raise others…such as, how iconic can an American company be if its products are produced outside of the United States?
Watch ABC News's video here.
Related recent Blogs
- Labor Day Travel a Reminder Why We Need Infrastructure Investment • by elizabethbb • 08/29/2014
- Terri Lynn Land’s Transportation Plan is… Interesting • by elizabethbb • 08/28/2014
- Made in China: “A Mistake That Will Be Hard to Turn Around For Decades” • by elizabethbb • 08/27/2014
- American Workers Remind Us What Labor Day Is All About • by TGarland • 08/26/2014
- Burger King Brouhaha Shows Tax Reform Debate Will Be Potent • by mmcmullan • 08/26/2014
- The Fourth Option: A National Manufacturing Strategy • by mmcmullan • 08/25/2014
- ITC Finds South Korean Dumping of OCTG Pipe: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) Statement. • by scapozzola • 08/22/2014
- Trade Data Pours Cold Water on "Rising Star" Outlook for American Manufacturing • by mmcmullan • 08/21/2014
- U.S. Named Among “Rising Global Stars” in Manufacturing • by elizabethbb • 08/20/2014
- If America Won’t Invest in America’s Infrastructure, China Will • by elizabethbb • 08/19/2014