Talking jobs in Michigan with the Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM)
Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) Field Coordinators Meghan McKeefry, Rachel Bennett Steury, and Michael Mitchell visited Midland, Michigan recently to raise awareness on the revitalization of U.S. manufacturing. Meghan offered the following report...
On November 11, we visited a home in the neighborhood that uses solar shingles from the local plant Dow Solar in Midland. The house generates so much electricity that the owners do not pay for electricity. It was very awesome! Here is a link that talks a little more about the plant and the jobs that were created.
November 12, Saturday morning: Rachel, Mike and I went to get letters signed at the "Midland Half Marathon" race. We also went to Frankenmuth, MI to visit "The Michigan Shoppe," where everything sold in the store is local to Michigan.
On November 13, we were invited to host a workshop called "Hot Topics" at the Unitarian Universalist Fellowship in Midland. We gave a presentation and had a lively discussion that lasted about an hour and a half. We stayed for the service and continued the discussion/petition signing for an hour afterwards. Special thanks to Minister Jeff Liebmann, and activist RG Converse for this opportunity.
Related recent Blogs
- President Obama visits Baltimore factory to promote infrastructure investment as a means of revitalizing the middle class • by LDonia • 05/17/2013
- May 17, 2013 Headlines: Strengthening our national security, focusing on jobs, and more. • by LRaup • 05/17/2013
- Five reasons you should be concerned about the U.S. military's reliance on foreign manufacturers. • by LDonia • 05/16/2013
- Looking for a manufacturing job? Consider heading to one of these ten metro areas! • by mmcmullan • 05/16/2013
- National Retail Federation dismisses global safety plan for garment factories while Cambodian shoe factory collapses. • by LDonia • 05/16/2013
- OPINION: Aren't we better off buying safe, Made-in-USA products? • by scapozzola • 05/16/2013
- U.S. Senate Passes Water Resources Development Act (WRDA) with Buy America Amendment Included. • by scapozzola • 05/15/2013
- And the crystal ball says that U.S. manufacturing is going up/down/sideways... • by scapozzola • 05/15/2013
- Japan's currency moves are heating up a trade problem • by scapozzola • 05/15/2013
- May 15, 2013 Headlines: U.S. manufacturing slows, while manufacturers discuss domestic production, and more... • by LDonia • 05/15/2013