LIVEBLOG: Steelworkers Call for Federal Action to Curb Unfair Trade at #SOSJobs Rally in Illinois.
At today's #SOSJobs rally in Granite City, IL, Sub District Director of United Steelworkers District 7 Dave Dowling spoke on behalf of thousands of workers whose jobs are being threatened by unfair trade. He was accompanied by three other local union presidents.
Dowling said that U.S. Steel plant in Granite City, IL has been operating for 135 years, and has helped to defend the U.S. and to ship products throughout the world, while supporting middle class families.
“Workers at this plant today are among the most productive in the world, and on a level playing field, this facility is as competitive and viable as any in the world.”
Dowling called on Washington to take whatever steps are necessary to ensure that the U.S. market is not tilted in favor of subsidized overseas producers who dump product into the U.S. market at below fair-market value.
Related recent Blogs
- ITC Finds South Korean Dumping of OCTG Pipe: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) Statement. • by scapozzola • 08/22/2014
- Trade Data Pours Cold Water on "Rising Star" Outlook for American Manufacturing • by mmcmullan • 08/21/2014
- U.S. Named Among “Rising Global Stars” in Manufacturing • by elizabethbb • 08/20/2014
- If America Won’t Invest in America’s Infrastructure, China Will • by elizabethbb • 08/19/2014
- Yes, Manufacturing Jobs Are Coming Back. But Will Progress Happen Fast Enough? • by elizabethbb • 08/18/2014
- Improving Our Railways: A Key Part of Rebuilding America • by elizabethbb • 08/14/2014
- Five Tests Walmart Must Pass to Show its 'Made In America' Street Cred • by spaul • 08/13/2014
- More Evidence the "Jobs Recovery" Isn’t All It’s Cracked Up to Be • by elizabethbb • 08/12/2014
- More Work to Do, Indeed • by elizabethbb • 08/11/2014
- WTO Upholds Ruling Finding China Guilty in Rare Earths Export Restraints Case: Alliance for American Manufacturing statement. • by scapozzola • 08/07/2014