LIVEBLOG: Steelworkers Call for Federal Action to Curb Unfair Trade at #SOSJobs Rally in Illinois.
At today's #SOSJobs rally in Granite City, IL, Sub District Director of United Steelworkers District 7 Dave Dowling spoke on behalf of thousands of workers whose jobs are being threatened by unfair trade. He was accompanied by three other local union presidents.
Dowling said that U.S. Steel plant in Granite City, IL has been operating for 135 years, and has helped to defend the U.S. and to ship products throughout the world, while supporting middle class families.
“Workers at this plant today are among the most productive in the world, and on a level playing field, this facility is as competitive and viable as any in the world.”
Dowling called on Washington to take whatever steps are necessary to ensure that the U.S. market is not tilted in favor of subsidized overseas producers who dump product into the U.S. market at below fair-market value.
Related recent Blogs
- Fact Check: Standing Up Against Unfair Trade, Kentucky Edition • by TGarland • 07/25/2014
- Strengthened Workforce Training is Great — and We Can Do More • by elizabethbb • 07/23/2014
- Americans Want Trade Agreements that Do Not Undermine Manufacturing Jobs, New Poll Finds • by TGarland • 07/23/2014
- Highlights from AAM's Trip to Detroit for Netroots Nation 2014 • by elizabethbb • 07/23/2014
- Toxic Fast Food: Just the Latest Scandal Involving Made-in-China Products. • by elizabethbb • 07/22/2014
- Foxx Calls on Congress to Pass Long-Term Fix to the Highway Trust Fund • by TGarland • 07/21/2014
- President Obama proposes public-private infrastructure initiative: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) statement. • by scapozzola • 07/17/2014
- We’re Live From Netroots Nation! • by elizabethbb • 07/17/2014
- So Much For Promises: China's Manipulating Its Currency, Again • by mmcmullan • 07/17/2014
- The OCTG Trade Case Heads to the International Trade Commission • by TGarland • 07/16/2014