LIVEBLOG: Steelworkers Call for Federal Action to Curb Unfair Trade at #SOSJobs Rally in Illinois.
At today's #SOSJobs rally in Granite City, IL, Sub District Director of United Steelworkers District 7 Dave Dowling spoke on behalf of thousands of workers whose jobs are being threatened by unfair trade. He was accompanied by three other local union presidents.
Dowling said that U.S. Steel plant in Granite City, IL has been operating for 135 years, and has helped to defend the U.S. and to ship products throughout the world, while supporting middle class families.
“Workers at this plant today are among the most productive in the world, and on a level playing field, this facility is as competitive and viable as any in the world.”
Dowling called on Washington to take whatever steps are necessary to ensure that the U.S. market is not tilted in favor of subsidized overseas producers who dump product into the U.S. market at below fair-market value.
Related recent Blogs
- More Exports Are Nice, but Let’s Not Forget about Surging Imports • by elizabethbb • 09/02/2014
- Budweiser Made in America Festival Lives Up to Its Name • by TGarland • 09/02/2014
- Labor Day Travel a Reminder Why We Need Infrastructure Investment • by elizabethbb • 08/29/2014
- Terri Lynn Land’s Transportation Plan is… Interesting • by elizabethbb • 08/28/2014
- Made in China: “A Mistake That Will Be Hard to Turn Around For Decades” • by elizabethbb • 08/27/2014
- American Workers Remind Us What Labor Day Is All About • by TGarland • 08/26/2014
- Burger King Brouhaha Shows Tax Reform Debate Will Be Potent • by mmcmullan • 08/26/2014
- The Fourth Option: A National Manufacturing Strategy • by mmcmullan • 08/25/2014
- ITC Finds South Korean Dumping of OCTG Pipe: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) Statement. • by scapozzola • 08/22/2014
- Trade Data Pours Cold Water on "Rising Star" Outlook for American Manufacturing • by mmcmullan • 08/21/2014