#SOSJobs: The Lorain rally wrap-up
Today, the Alliance for American Manufacturing joined citizens, workers, and state and federal legislators from Ohio to rally in support of steel jobs at the U.S. Steel’s Lorain Tubular Operations facility.
The products produced there – called oil country tubular goods (OCTG) – are used for energy exploration. OCTG provides the infrastructure for America’s boom in oil and natural gas production. You could even say it’s underpinning America’s shift to energy independence.
But America’s domestic producers of OCTG are in danger of being swamped by illegal competition. By dumping their OCTG products in the American market at prices far below fair value, companies based overseas are putting America’s jobs at risk.
Ohioans know how important these middle-class steelworker jobs are. They know these jobs are worth fighting for. That’s what brought U.S. Senator Sherrod Brown and U.S. Representative Marcy Kaptur to Lorain today. That’s why state-level legislators were in attendance, too. And that’s why a crowd of 300 workers and their neighbors turned out as well.
This is only the first in a series of rallies in defense of OCTG jobs. So click on the links above to learn more about what they had to say today. Learn more about the threat facing steelworkers in Ohio and across the country. Find an upcoming rally near you. And then take action to help.
We'll see you out there on the road soon, America!
Related recent Blogs
- Fact Check: Standing Up Against Unfair Trade, Kentucky Edition • by TGarland • 07/25/2014
- Strengthened Workforce Training is Great — and We Can Do More • by elizabethbb • 07/23/2014
- Americans Want Trade Agreements that Do Not Undermine Manufacturing Jobs, New Poll Finds • by TGarland • 07/23/2014
- Highlights from AAM's Trip to Detroit for Netroots Nation 2014 • by elizabethbb • 07/23/2014
- Toxic Fast Food: Just the Latest Scandal Involving Made-in-China Products. • by elizabethbb • 07/22/2014
- Foxx Calls on Congress to Pass Long-Term Fix to the Highway Trust Fund • by TGarland • 07/21/2014
- President Obama proposes public-private infrastructure initiative: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) statement. • by scapozzola • 07/17/2014
- We’re Live From Netroots Nation! • by elizabethbb • 07/17/2014
- So Much For Promises: China's Manipulating Its Currency, Again • by mmcmullan • 07/17/2014
- The OCTG Trade Case Heads to the International Trade Commission • by TGarland • 07/16/2014