#SOSJobs LIVEBLOG: Labor Leaders Condemn Trade Violations
United Steelworkers union leader Dan Flippo, Director of United Steelworkers District 9 for the Southeastern United States, was joined by Daryl Duberry, Vice President of the United Mine Workers of America on stage at the #SOSJobs rally in Alabama. Flippo asked: When in recent memory have business, labor and both political parties are united?
“What you’ve got to do, when you leave this rally, is go home and tell your neighbors: ‘I’m standing for the American worker, I’m standing for this valley,’ so that we can build this movement for American products.”
Duberry cited family members who had been steelworkers and their experience with Japanese steel dumping in earlier years. “That coke plant over there burns coke to make steel. So the Mineworkers are here to stand with you. We find it’s not our employers were fightin,’ like NAFTA.
“The electronics industry is gone, and now steel’s being dumped on,” said Duberry. “Korea is doing nothing but cheating. They know that once they’ve got the market locked down, those prices will spike. That makes their cheap products dumped on our markets nothing but criminal.
“I’m fed up and fired up and it’s time we armed ourselves with knowledge and solidarity.”
Related recent Blogs
- Manufacturing sector adds 28,000 jobs in July: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) statement. • by scapozzola • 08/01/2014
- New "Gigafactory" set to create thousands of jobs in the U.S. • by TGarland • 07/31/2014
- Congress Still Hasn't Made a Fix to the Highway Trust Fund • by mmcmullan • 07/30/2014
- UCLA Flood: A Real Life of Example of What Happens When We Ignore Our Infrastructure • by elizabethbb • 07/30/2014
- Candidate Watch: We Need a Few More Details, Terri Lynn Land • by elizabethbb • 07/29/2014
- Fact Check: Standing Up Against Unfair Trade, Kentucky Edition • by TGarland • 07/25/2014
- Strengthened Workforce Training is Great — and We Can Do More • by elizabethbb • 07/23/2014
- Americans Want Trade Agreements that Do Not Undermine Manufacturing Jobs, New Poll Finds • by TGarland • 07/23/2014
- Highlights from AAM's Trip to Detroit for Netroots Nation 2014 • by elizabethbb • 07/23/2014
- Toxic Fast Food: Just the Latest Scandal Involving Made-in-China Products. • by elizabethbb • 07/22/2014