#SOSJobs LIVEBLOG: Labor Leaders Condemn Trade Violations
United Steelworkers union leader Dan Flippo, Director of United Steelworkers District 9 for the Southeastern United States, was joined by Daryl Duberry, Vice President of the United Mine Workers of America on stage at the #SOSJobs rally in Alabama. Flippo asked: When in recent memory have business, labor and both political parties are united?
“What you’ve got to do, when you leave this rally, is go home and tell your neighbors: ‘I’m standing for the American worker, I’m standing for this valley,’ so that we can build this movement for American products.”
Duberry cited family members who had been steelworkers and their experience with Japanese steel dumping in earlier years. “That coke plant over there burns coke to make steel. So the Mineworkers are here to stand with you. We find it’s not our employers were fightin,’ like NAFTA.
“The electronics industry is gone, and now steel’s being dumped on,” said Duberry. “Korea is doing nothing but cheating. They know that once they’ve got the market locked down, those prices will spike. That makes their cheap products dumped on our markets nothing but criminal.
“I’m fed up and fired up and it’s time we armed ourselves with knowledge and solidarity.”
Related recent Blogs
- U.S. Named Among “Rising Global Stars” in Manufacturing • by elizabethbb • 08/20/2014
- If America Won’t Invest in America’s Infrastructure, China Will • by elizabethbb • 08/19/2014
- Yes, Manufacturing Jobs Are Coming Back. But Will Progress Happen Fast Enough? • by elizabethbb • 08/18/2014
- Improving Our Railways: A Key Part of Rebuilding America • by elizabethbb • 08/14/2014
- Five Tests Walmart Must Pass to Show its 'Made In America' Street Cred • by spaul • 08/13/2014
- More Evidence the "Jobs Recovery" Isn’t All It’s Cracked Up to Be • by elizabethbb • 08/12/2014
- More Work to Do, Indeed • by elizabethbb • 08/11/2014
- WTO Upholds Ruling Finding China Guilty in Rare Earths Export Restraints Case: Alliance for American Manufacturing statement. • by scapozzola • 08/07/2014
- No, Technology Isn’t an Automatic Job Killer • by elizabethbb • 08/07/2014
- Secretary Foxx Wants YOU… to Do Something about Infrastructure • by elizabethbb • 08/06/2014