#SOSJobs LIVEBLOG: Congressman Bachus Protests Job Losses Resulting from Unfair Foreign Trading
With a large crowd of Steelworkers holding signs high in sweltering heat reading “Save Our Steel Jobs” and “#SOS Jobs,” U.S. Congressman Spencer Bachus (AL-6th) took the stage in Fairfield, Alabama today to protest the illegal trade in steel being practiced by America’s foreign competitors ... especially South Korea.
Congressman Bachus recounted the many iron, steel, and coal jobs that have already disappeared and used the Alabama-Auburn football rivalry to describe the dumping of steel products. “they’re cheatin’.”
If the field were tilted in an Iron Bowl game, he said, “they’d walk off the field.
"Can you imagine one team being able to jump offsides? Chop block? Some people call it currency manipulation, dumping. I call it cheating.” Bachus made it clear: We can trade with foreign competitors but only as long as they play by the rules.
“If you play fair, we’ll eat your lunch," he said. "And it’s about time we took our ball and went home.
It’s time to say ‘enough is enough. You’ve treated long enough. It’s not about a trade war, it’s about our surviving as a nation.
Related recent Blogs
- U.S. Named Among “Rising Global Stars” in Manufacturing • by elizabethbb • 08/20/2014
- If America Won’t Invest in America’s Infrastructure, China Will • by elizabethbb • 08/19/2014
- Yes, Manufacturing Jobs Are Coming Back. But Will Progress Happen Fast Enough? • by elizabethbb • 08/18/2014
- Improving Our Railways: A Key Part of Rebuilding America • by elizabethbb • 08/14/2014
- Five Tests Walmart Must Pass to Show its 'Made In America' Street Cred • by spaul • 08/13/2014
- More Evidence the "Jobs Recovery" Isn’t All It’s Cracked Up to Be • by elizabethbb • 08/12/2014
- More Work to Do, Indeed • by elizabethbb • 08/11/2014
- WTO Upholds Ruling Finding China Guilty in Rare Earths Export Restraints Case: Alliance for American Manufacturing statement. • by scapozzola • 08/07/2014
- No, Technology Isn’t an Automatic Job Killer • by elizabethbb • 08/07/2014
- Secretary Foxx Wants YOU… to Do Something about Infrastructure • by elizabethbb • 08/06/2014