#SOSJobs LIVEBLOG: Congressman Bachus Protests Job Losses Resulting from Unfair Foreign Trading
With a large crowd of Steelworkers holding signs high in sweltering heat reading “Save Our Steel Jobs” and “#SOS Jobs,” U.S. Congressman Spencer Bachus (AL-6th) took the stage in Fairfield, Alabama today to protest the illegal trade in steel being practiced by America’s foreign competitors ... especially South Korea.
Congressman Bachus recounted the many iron, steel, and coal jobs that have already disappeared and used the Alabama-Auburn football rivalry to describe the dumping of steel products. “they’re cheatin’.”
If the field were tilted in an Iron Bowl game, he said, “they’d walk off the field.
"Can you imagine one team being able to jump offsides? Chop block? Some people call it currency manipulation, dumping. I call it cheating.” Bachus made it clear: We can trade with foreign competitors but only as long as they play by the rules.
“If you play fair, we’ll eat your lunch," he said. "And it’s about time we took our ball and went home.
It’s time to say ‘enough is enough. You’ve treated long enough. It’s not about a trade war, it’s about our surviving as a nation.
Related recent Blogs
- More Exports Are Nice, but Let’s Not Forget about Surging Imports • by elizabethbb • 09/02/2014
- Budweiser Made in America Festival Lives Up to Its Name • by TGarland • 09/02/2014
- Labor Day Travel a Reminder Why We Need Infrastructure Investment • by elizabethbb • 08/29/2014
- Terri Lynn Land’s Transportation Plan is… Interesting • by elizabethbb • 08/28/2014
- Made in China: “A Mistake That Will Be Hard to Turn Around For Decades” • by elizabethbb • 08/27/2014
- American Workers Remind Us What Labor Day Is All About • by TGarland • 08/26/2014
- Burger King Brouhaha Shows Tax Reform Debate Will Be Potent • by mmcmullan • 08/26/2014
- The Fourth Option: A National Manufacturing Strategy • by mmcmullan • 08/25/2014
- ITC Finds South Korean Dumping of OCTG Pipe: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) Statement. • by scapozzola • 08/22/2014
- Trade Data Pours Cold Water on "Rising Star" Outlook for American Manufacturing • by mmcmullan • 08/21/2014