The solar industry trade isn't very sunny, and it's not getting any sunnier
In 2009, the industry was relatively new and therefore more fluid and unstable. As solar technology expanded, many U.S. solar companies were forced to lay off workers or close their factories due to the extremely (and artifficially) cheap solar products coming out of China.
The hard numbers: Chinese solar product imports surged more than 350 percent from 2008 to 2010. As a result, the U.S. solar industry lost thousands of jobs and at least seven companies were forced to close or downsize.
The export-oriented solar industry in China has been heavily subsidized by for the years. In the world’s biggest antidumping case to date, European companies accused China of dumping solar products into in their markets putting many of them out of business.
And now — in an announcement the U.S. government calls “disappointing” — China says it is preparing tariffs on solar material from certain American companies. The huge Chinese solar industry imports a large amount of solar-grade polysilicon to make its solar products.
The irony is astounding.
Image by Flickr user Abi Skipp, following Creative Commons guidelines.
Related recent Blogs
- Candidate Watch: We Need a Few More Details, Terri Lynn Land • by elizabethbb • 07/29/2014
- Fact Check: Standing Up Against Unfair Trade, Kentucky Edition • by TGarland • 07/25/2014
- Strengthened Workforce Training is Great — and We Can Do More • by elizabethbb • 07/23/2014
- Americans Want Trade Agreements that Do Not Undermine Manufacturing Jobs, New Poll Finds • by TGarland • 07/23/2014
- Highlights from AAM's Trip to Detroit for Netroots Nation 2014 • by elizabethbb • 07/23/2014
- Toxic Fast Food: Just the Latest Scandal Involving Made-in-China Products. • by elizabethbb • 07/22/2014
- Foxx Calls on Congress to Pass Long-Term Fix to the Highway Trust Fund • by TGarland • 07/21/2014
- President Obama proposes public-private infrastructure initiative: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) statement. • by scapozzola • 07/17/2014
- We’re Live From Netroots Nation! • by elizabethbb • 07/17/2014
- So Much For Promises: China's Manipulating Its Currency, Again • by mmcmullan • 07/17/2014