The solar industry trade isn't very sunny, and it's not getting any sunnier
In 2009, the industry was relatively new and therefore more fluid and unstable. As solar technology expanded, many U.S. solar companies were forced to lay off workers or close their factories due to the extremely (and artifficially) cheap solar products coming out of China.
The hard numbers: Chinese solar product imports surged more than 350 percent from 2008 to 2010. As a result, the U.S. solar industry lost thousands of jobs and at least seven companies were forced to close or downsize.
The export-oriented solar industry in China has been heavily subsidized by for the years. In the world’s biggest antidumping case to date, European companies accused China of dumping solar products into in their markets putting many of them out of business.
And now — in an announcement the U.S. government calls “disappointing” — China says it is preparing tariffs on solar material from certain American companies. The huge Chinese solar industry imports a large amount of solar-grade polysilicon to make its solar products.
The irony is astounding.
Image by Flickr user Abi Skipp, following Creative Commons guidelines.
Related recent Blogs
- Made in China: “A Mistake That Will Be Hard to Turn Around For Decades” • by elizabethbb • 08/27/2014
- American Workers Remind Us What Labor Day Is All About • by TGarland • 08/26/2014
- Burger King Brouhaha Shows Tax Reform Debate Will Be Potent • by mmcmullan • 08/26/2014
- The Fourth Option: A National Manufacturing Strategy • by mmcmullan • 08/25/2014
- ITC Finds South Korean Dumping of OCTG Pipe: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) Statement. • by scapozzola • 08/22/2014
- Trade Data Pours Cold Water on "Rising Star" Outlook for American Manufacturing • by mmcmullan • 08/21/2014
- U.S. Named Among “Rising Global Stars” in Manufacturing • by elizabethbb • 08/20/2014
- If America Won’t Invest in America’s Infrastructure, China Will • by elizabethbb • 08/19/2014
- Yes, Manufacturing Jobs Are Coming Back. But Will Progress Happen Fast Enough? • by elizabethbb • 08/18/2014
- Improving Our Railways: A Key Part of Rebuilding America • by elizabethbb • 08/14/2014