#ShopAmerica: Staff selections for work, home and play
As part of the Alliance for American Manufacturing's (AAM) ongoing effort to demystify shopping for American-made holiday gifts, we've asked our staff to submit their favorite American-made gifts. This post is part a series of "Staff Selections" we'll feature on ManufactureThis in coming days. Today's post is written by Lou Delatore, Mark Musho, and George Calko, AAM field coordinators in West Virginia, Pennsylvania, and Ohio respectively. Check out all of AAM's Holiday coverage, including more staff gift selections.
I like to buy glassware for my family, mostly items like candy dishes, from Davis-Lynch Glass Company. Davis-Lynch employs members of the United Steel Workers (USW).
As for me, this year I asked my wife to buy me a safety cabinet, from Eagle Manufacturing. I want to use the cabinet to store all my gas cans. As a matter of fact, Eagle Manufacturing also made all the gas cans that I use. And it’s worth nothing, Eagle Manufacturing is located in my home town, of Wellsburg, West Virginia, and its workforce is also represented by the USW.
The big thing on my American-Made Christmas list this year is a Martin acoustic guitar. The Nazareth, Pennsylvania-based company has been family owned and operated for six generations. It has been handed down five times since it’s founding by Christian Frederick Martin, Sr. in 1833.
The Martin acoustic guitar is the beloved instrument of famous players worldwide. The sound it creates is unlike any other. This is the perfect gift for serious musicians as well as amateurs (and AAM field staff!).
My wife loves the Homer Laughlin china company’s products. We drive to Newell, West Virginia right across the Ohio River and buy from the factory directly at its company store. Homer Laughlin products are made by USW members on site and have been since 1871.
Another gift idea for the working man or woman in your life is a pair of Roundhouse overalls. I own three pairs of these and put them on every time I need to get some work done. I have used them to bale hay, rebuild my kitchen and bathroom, rewire my dad’s garage, and help till the community gardens in my town. They are very comfy, fit like a charm, and have tons of pocket space for tools and gadgets. Mine are beat up and faded by now, but are easily the best pants I own for working in.
Related recent Blogs
- #ShopAmerica: The last-minute gifts edition • by LDonia • 12/23/2013
- #ShopAmerica: American-made wearables make a great gift! • by LDonia • 12/22/2013
- #ShopAmerica: AAM staff selects gifts for wearing, riding and carrying • by LDonia • 12/21/2013
- #ShopAmerica: The American-made gift you make yourself ... sort of • by LDonia • 12/20/2013
- #ShopAmerica: Staff selections for work, home and play • by LDonia • 12/19/2013
- Guest Post: Congressman Tim Ryan on the importance of American-made holiday shopping • by LDonia • 12/19/2013
- Missed our #ShopAmerica twitter chat? We've got you covered! • by LDonia • 12/18/2013
- #ShopAmerica: From handbags and dress shoes to tires and paintball -- an assortment of #MadeinUSA gift ideas • by LDonia • 12/17/2013
- #ShopAmerica AAM Staff Selections: Don, his Danners, and a YETI head outdoors • by mmcmullan • 12/16/2013
- #ShopAmerica AAM Staff Selections: Spirit Hoods • by LDonia • 12/12/2013