Shift Changes: A historic Minnesota mill swings back into production
Today, Minnesota Gov. Mike Dayton and other officials will convene at the Faribault Woolen Mill in Faribault, MN to celebrate the re-opening of this historic textile factory.
The mill, which dates back to the 1890’s, has been closed since 2009, according to the Star Tribune. But today it begins a new life under new ownership and with a workforce of 31, including several former employees.
At one time the mill housed a workforce of about 80 and was responsible for producing half of all woolen blankets made in the U.S. It still remains an important pillar in the American textile industry:
“At a time when most textile production has moved overseas, the Faribault mill is thought to be North America's only fully-integrated facility with equipment that washes, cards, spins and weaves wool into Faribo brand blankets and throws.”
Faribault Woolen Mill Co. has already received orders from high-end hospitality clients including the Waldorf Astoria and Hudson hotels in New York City, and the company’s blankets will soon be available at the Mall of America gift shop. You can also shop their collection online at faribaultmill.com
Seeing a historic factory like the Faribault Mill enjoy a new life as a manufacturer of American-made goods makes us feel as warm and fuzzy inside as a wool blanket. We’re glad to see there is still a demand for American-made textiles, and hope that the Faribault Mill will soon be one of many textile companies enjoying onshore success.
Related recent Blogs
- Festive sweater season is upon us ... make sure yours is Made in the U.S.A. • by LDonia • 11/22/2013
- October 23, 2013: Bizarro world sounds nice • by mmcmullan • 10/23/2013
- Protect your phones and tablets, Made-in-America style • by LDonia • 10/02/2013
- Minnesota company making superbowl souvenirs here in the U.S.A. • by LDonia • 01/30/2013
- November 21, 2012 Headlines: stories from Minnesota, Ohio, Missouri, and more... • by LDonia • 11/21/2012
- Yet another campaign video focuses on American manufacturing • by LDonia • 10/22/2012
- American-made hiking apparel • by LDonia • 09/28/2012
- Memorial Day • by scapozzola • 05/28/2012
- Shift Changes: Volkswagen Chattanooga to hire 800 new workers • by aburke • 03/22/2012
- U.S. Representative Chip Cravaack (R-MN) Touts the Benefits of Buy America Preferences • by scapozzola • 03/19/2012