Shift Changes: Buck Knives brings production back from China and carves out a manufacturing niche in northern Idaho
If you’re a fan of hunting, chances are you have a Buck Knife in your arsenal of gear. These iconic knives are proudly wielded by Americans from coast to coast, but for far too long many of these knives were shipped to the U.S. from a foreign manufacturer.
Twelve years ago, Buck Knives began outsourcing production of their hunting knives to China, and according to the Idaho Statesman, their customers were less than thrilled:
"Hunters are rednecks, and they don't like anything with that C word on it," said Chuck Buck, the company chairman, whose grandfather founded the company in 1902.”
Over the past several years, the company has shifted production of its hunting knives, along with many other products, from China to a plant in northern Idaho. In addition to making their customers happy, this move has helped create new jobs in the community.
Just goes to show…when it comes to manufacturing the type of quality products that Americans want to buy, the buck stops here.
Related recent Blogs
- Why Biden's visit to Ohio CSX terminal is a pretty big deal • by LDonia • 11/06/2013
- November 5, 2013: Apple's new Made in the U.S.A. commitment dwarfs Walmart's • by mmcmullan • 11/05/2013
- Oh yes: A Made in America Girl Scout project • by mmcmullan • 10/15/2013
- What’s in a name? Is the Made In America Festival really all that Made In America? • by mmcmullan • 08/29/2013
- Governors applaud Made in the USA, but do their laws support American manufacturing? • by TGarland • 08/23/2013
- AAM Field Coordinators discuss manufacturing issues in the states • by LDonia • 08/12/2013
- WATCH: NYC bridge steel outsourced to China • by scapozzola • 08/09/2013
- Did you miss the "Want Jobs? Do This." hangout last month? Watch here. • by TGarland • 08/06/2013
- New Amtrak trains, made in USA • by scapozzola • 07/31/2013
- USW's Leo Gerard: NYC's MTA is making excuses to avoid buying American-made steel. • by scapozzola • 07/24/2013