Shift Changes: ArcelorMittal to re-open a portion of their Cleveland steel mill, hire 150 new workers
Good news for Cleveland, Ohio: ArcelorMittal, the world's leading steel and mining company, announced plans to reopen a portion of its steel plant in an area of Cleveland known as the Flats, reports the Plain Dealer.The company will hire 150 new workers to staff the reopened portion of the facility.
As a result of the struggling global economy, ArcelorMittal ceased operations in the west side of the plant, a finishing and refining area, in 2008. The company also shut down both of the plant's furnaces during the recession, but has since re-opened them and re-hired nearly 1,000 workers.
This latest announcement from ArcelorMittal is just the latest sign that the American steel industry is making a recovery. According to ArcelorMittal, customer orders have been increasing steadily, and the re-opening of the west side of the Cleveland facility could increase the plant’s steel output by 480,000 tons per year.
Related recent Blogs
- RADIO: AAM's Scott Paul on Leslie Marshall Radio Show, May 20, 2013 • by scapozzola • 05/21/2013
- May 21, 2013 Headlines: Tensions with North Korea, a stronger WTO, and more. • by LRaup • 05/21/2013
- Quote of the Day from Caterpillar's Doug Oberhelman • by LDonia • 05/20/2013
- May 20, 2013 Headlines: Manufacturing & social media, growth of the U.S. economy, and more. • by LRaup • 05/20/2013
- President Obama visits Baltimore factory to promote infrastructure investment as a means of revitalizing the middle class • by LDonia • 05/17/2013
- It's Fashion Friday, but NoCargo carries more than just American-made clothing! • by LDonia • 05/17/2013
- May 17, 2013 Headlines: Strengthening our national security, focusing on jobs, and more. • by LRaup • 05/17/2013
- Five reasons you should be concerned about the U.S. military's reliance on foreign manufacturers. • by LDonia • 05/16/2013
- Looking for a manufacturing job? Consider heading to one of these ten metro areas! • by mmcmullan • 05/16/2013
- National Retail Federation dismisses global safety plan for garment factories while Cambodian shoe factory collapses. • by LDonia • 05/16/2013