September 5, 2013: Manufacturing jobs report on the horizon!
Shanah Tovah! It’s Thursday, September 5, 2013, the first day of Rosh Hashanah.
We’re nearing the end of the first week of the month, the time when many a government agency in Washington releases the economic data collected over the last four weeks.
Yesterday brought the Commerce Department’s trade figures; the United States ran a $39.1 billion deficit with its trading partners in August, and a full $30.1 billion of that total was the deficit compiled with China alone -- an ignominious new one-month record.
Today, we’ve got new data from the Labor Department on unemployment claims. Shobhana Chandra reports claims declined by 9,000 in the last week of August, a bigger dip than previously forecasted.
To go with that news, a report issued by the ADP Research Institute shows the private sector added 176,000 jobs last month. That forecast is in line with the slowed rate of job creation that has been a staple feature of the drawn-out economic recovery, writes Victoria Stilwell.
And tomorrow? Tomorrow brings the Labor Department’s monthly jobs figures. We’ll be digging into the data and updating the #AAMeter. Will the meter move? Will President Obama make any progress on his pledge to help create 1 million new manufacturing jobs by the end of his term? Tune in tomorrow morning to find out.
Elsewhere around the web:
The fashion industry is a key component of the administration’s Made in America effort. U.S. textile and apparel manufacturing receive promotion from government agencies, Kristi Ellis of Women’s Wear Daily writes.
Ahead of the G20 summit taking place in St Petersburg, Russia, Mexican President Enrique Pena Nieto and his Chinese counterpart, Xi Jinping, discussed increasing trade ties between the two countries. The talks came over … yep, you guessed it: tequila. This is the third meeting in six months between the two leaders, AFP reports.
On the horizon:
Vice President Joe Biden will head to Baltimore on Monday to highlight a major transportation announcement, according to a White House press release.
Related recent Blogs
- August 1, 2014: The Rare, Solid Manufacturing Jobs Report • by mmcmullan • 08/01/2014
- Candidate Watch: We Need a Few More Details, Terri Lynn Land • by elizabethbb • 07/29/2014
- Will This Be the Week for the Highway Trust Fund? • by elizabethbb • 07/28/2014
- July 25, 2014: What We're Watching • by mmcmullan • 07/25/2014
- Back From Detroit, Eyes on Washington • by elizabethbb • 07/21/2014
- July 14, 2014: Commerce gets its OCTG ruling RIGHT! • by mmcmullan • 07/14/2014
- S&ED Talks with China Serve Up a Big Ol' Nothingburger • by mmcmullan • 07/10/2014
- July 7, 2014: The final #SOSJobs countdown • by mmcmullan • 07/07/2014
- As American as Apple Pie — But Made Overseas • by TGarland • 07/02/2014
- June 30, 2014: AAM rides in style • by mmcmullan • 06/30/2014