Sen. Wyden (D-OR) calls for action on Chinese dumping in renewable energy industry
The the U.S. solar power industry is under assault from Chinese manufacturers who are "reaping the benefits of unscrupulous trade practices," according to Sen. Ron Wyden (D-OR). In a letter to President Obama, Wyden urged action to curb the flood of Chinese subsidized solar products.
In his letter, Sen. Wyden explained that renewable energy technologies represent one of the best opportunities to create new, good-paying jobs in the U.S. and that it would be a mistake to let these industries fall victim to China’s unfair trade practices. Wyden explained that Chinese producers "often receive large subsidies from their government and price their goods at levels that do not reflect the reality of the marketplace, thus putting U.S. industries at a distinct disadvantage unless remedies are used to level the playing field."
Wyden identified the Department of Commerce’s authority to self-initiate an investigation into the application of anti-dumping and countervailing duties as apotential remedy, and urged the president to impose safeguards on surging Chinese imports that disrupt America's solar power industry.
Related recent Blogs
- May 23, 2013 Headlines: Gains in the job market, small businesses manufacturing in the U.S.A., and more. • by LRaup • 05/23/2013
- VIDEO: Concerns about America's defense industrial base • by scapozzola • 05/22/2013
- CNBC: China investing in U.S. • by scapozzola • 05/22/2013
- In Indiana, ongoing concerns about subsidized auto parts from China and Japan • by scapozzola • 05/22/2013
- RADIO: AAM's Scott Paul on Leslie Marshall Radio Show, May 20, 2013 • by scapozzola • 05/21/2013
- May 21, 2013 Headlines: Tensions with North Korea, a stronger WTO, and more. • by LRaup • 05/21/2013
- Shoring up our security means addressing the China challenge • by mmcmullan • 05/20/2013
- Quote of the Day from Caterpillar's Doug Oberhelman • by LDonia • 05/20/2013
- May 20, 2013 Headlines: Manufacturing & social media, growth of the U.S. economy, and more. • by LRaup • 05/20/2013
- President Obama visits Baltimore factory to promote infrastructure investment as a means of revitalizing the middle class • by LDonia • 05/17/2013