The second highest monthly trade deficit with China in U.S. history.
The latest monthly U.S. trade figures were released this morning by the Department of Commerce:
- The monthly U.S. international trade deficit in goods and services fell to $41.5 billion in September, down from $43.8 billion in August.
- However, the goods deficit with China continued its ascent, rising to $29.1 billion in September, from $28.7 billion in August. This is only the second time in U.S. history that the monthly trade gap with China has exceeded $29 billion.
Said Scott Paul, Executive Director of the Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM):
“America’s trade deficit with China continues to climb, hitting a near record in September.
“President Obama has a lot of work ahead of him in his second term. His goal of adding 1 million new manufacturing jobs will be virtually impossible to achieve unless he takes strong action to address China’s cheating, particular on currency manipulation.
“We look forward to working with President Obama to strengthen America’s manufacturing base.”
Related recent Blogs
- Foxx takes to the road to push for transportation fixes • by mmcmullan • 04/17/2014
- Obama vs. Bush: Who actually made more progress in revaluing China’s yuan? • by scapozzola • 04/16/2014
- Treasury decision on China currency will cost U.S. jobs: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) Statement. • by scapozzola • 04/15/2014
- OPINION: Fix the vulnerable defense industrial base • by mmcmullan • 04/14/2014
- Manufacturing Jobs & #EqualPay • by LRaup • 04/11/2014
- Rep. Sandy Levin talks currency and the TPP • by mmcmullan • 04/10/2014
- Throwback Thursday: Obama promises 1 million new manufacturing jobs • by TGarland • 04/10/2014
- What can we expect from the upcoming Treasury report on exchange rates? • by mmcmullan • 04/08/2014
- Rep. Tonko brings filmmakers to Washington to talk American manufacturing • by TGarland • 04/08/2014
- RADIO: Why is manufacturing important for job creation in Michigan (and the U.S.)? • by scapozzola • 04/07/2014