Scott Paul in POLITICO: "China is gaming us...And we are literally paying it to do so."
This morning, The Politico published an op-ed by Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) President Scott Paul that rather bluntly blames Washington for some of China's recent cyber attacks on U.S. companies.
SOME FACTS: As a new report makes clear, the Chinese military is waging a campaign of cyberattacks against the United States, rummaging through the files of U.S. companies and exploring the networks controlling gas pipelines and electrical grids.
THE PROBLEM: Washington simply views such information as "business as usual."
In response, Paul offers some hard truths:
- The Obama Administration’s acquiescence on China cyber attacks simply invites more hacking.
- The Massive U.S. trade deficit with China ($315 billion in 2012 alone) helps fund cyber attacks on U.S. Beijing is investing surplus billions in upgraded military, new weapons programs, and expanded cyber warfare.
- Beijing has shown that it responds to pressure. Administration must step up trade enforcement and hold China accountable for illegal currency manipulation in order to reduce the trade imbalance.
Related recent Blogs
- RADIO: AAM's Scott Paul on Leslie Marshall Radio Show, May 20, 2013 • by scapozzola • 05/21/2013
- May 21, 2013 Headlines: Tensions with North Korea, a stronger WTO, and more. • by LRaup • 05/21/2013
- Shoring up our security means addressing the China challenge • by mmcmullan • 05/20/2013
- Quote of the Day from Caterpillar's Doug Oberhelman • by LDonia • 05/20/2013
- May 20, 2013 Headlines: Manufacturing & social media, growth of the U.S. economy, and more. • by LRaup • 05/20/2013
- President Obama visits Baltimore factory to promote infrastructure investment as a means of revitalizing the middle class • by LDonia • 05/17/2013
- May 17, 2013 Headlines: Strengthening our national security, focusing on jobs, and more. • by LRaup • 05/17/2013
- Five reasons you should be concerned about the U.S. military's reliance on foreign manufacturers. • by LDonia • 05/16/2013
- Looking for a manufacturing job? Consider heading to one of these ten metro areas! • by mmcmullan • 05/16/2013
- National Retail Federation dismisses global safety plan for garment factories while Cambodian shoe factory collapses. • by LDonia • 05/16/2013