Scott Paul on Leslie Marshall Radio Show, April 10, 2012: Outsourcing is "mortgaging our future..."
On The Leslie Marshall Radio Show last night, Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) Executive Director Scott Paul explained why AAM recently launched its national "Should Be Made in America" campaign.
Paul said "this is about jobs, and how we use our tax dollars to create jobs, or whether we don't."
He said the "dirtly little secret" about the San Francisco Bay Bridge, for example, is that the steel for the bridge was outsourced to China. This has led the project to being "years delayed and way over budget."
Paul pointed out that this one instance of outsourced steel production cost the U.S. roughly 2,500 jobs. He said this is "outrageous" and we need to "stop this from happening in the future."
Paul added that this is about the next generation of rail and bridge projects, and where these materials will come from. It all comes down to where tax dollars are spent for future infrastructure work: "Are they going to be supporting American factories or are they going to these government-owned firms in China that are undermining our companies and costing us jobs?"
Related recent Blogs
- VIDEO: Concerns about America's defense industrial base • by scapozzola • 05/22/2013
- CNBC: China investing in U.S. • by scapozzola • 05/22/2013
- In Indiana, ongoing concerns about subsidized auto parts from China and Japan • by scapozzola • 05/22/2013
- RADIO: AAM's Scott Paul on Leslie Marshall Radio Show, May 20, 2013 • by scapozzola • 05/21/2013
- Shoring up our security means addressing the China challenge • by mmcmullan • 05/20/2013
- Quote of the Day from Caterpillar's Doug Oberhelman • by LDonia • 05/20/2013
- President Obama visits Baltimore factory to promote infrastructure investment as a means of revitalizing the middle class • by LDonia • 05/17/2013
- Five reasons you should be concerned about the U.S. military's reliance on foreign manufacturers. • by LDonia • 05/16/2013
- Looking for a manufacturing job? Consider heading to one of these ten metro areas! • by mmcmullan • 05/16/2013
- National Retail Federation dismisses global safety plan for garment factories while Cambodian shoe factory collapses. • by LDonia • 05/16/2013