Romney Day One Would "Make China Play by the Rules."
Mitt Romney continues to talk tough on U.S. trade with China. And as the election cycle moves into high gear, and the Romney campaign focuses on key messaging, it's interesting to see that amongst the campaign's firmest pledges is a promise starting day one for presidential action to "make China play by the rules."
In a new campaign video, the former governor of Massachusetts makes clear his priorities. In addition to cutting the federal deficit and reducing government regulations, Romney has repeatedly said that he will hold China accountable by:
- designating China as a currency manipulator (which would trigger federal action);
- barring China from U.S. government procurement until American firms are given reciprocal access
However, what Amerca really needs are not campaign slogans and glossy ads. What's really needed is action. That's what the Alliance for American Manfacturing (AAM) will be pressing for as the campaign unfolds, and after the fall election.
Related recent Blogs
- VIDEO: Concerns about America's defense industrial base • by scapozzola • 05/22/2013
- CNBC: China investing in U.S. • by scapozzola • 05/22/2013
- In Indiana, ongoing concerns about subsidized auto parts from China and Japan • by scapozzola • 05/22/2013
- RADIO: AAM's Scott Paul on Leslie Marshall Radio Show, May 20, 2013 • by scapozzola • 05/21/2013
- May 21, 2013 Headlines: Tensions with North Korea, a stronger WTO, and more. • by LRaup • 05/21/2013
- Shoring up our security means addressing the China challenge • by mmcmullan • 05/20/2013
- Quote of the Day from Caterpillar's Doug Oberhelman • by LDonia • 05/20/2013
- May 20, 2013 Headlines: Manufacturing & social media, growth of the U.S. economy, and more. • by LRaup • 05/20/2013
- President Obama visits Baltimore factory to promote infrastructure investment as a means of revitalizing the middle class • by LDonia • 05/17/2013
- May 17, 2013 Headlines: Strengthening our national security, focusing on jobs, and more. • by LRaup • 05/17/2013