Road to Recovery: Transforming America’s Transportation
Former PA Governor and Secretary of Homeland Security Tom Ridge, Sen. Bill Bradley, and U.S. Comptroller General David Walker teamed up with the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace to produce a report on the state and direction of our nation’s transportation program. Their report, Road to Recovery: Transforming America’s Transportation, highlights many problems with the U.S. transportation sector, and focuses on the state of our infrastructure and the program’s insolvency.
The report suggests three solutions as indicated by the initiative’s summarizing tagline: “Cut for efficiency, Invest for growth, and Price for solvency.” The first solution calls for banning transportation earmarks that are not subject to proper oversight and often result in wasted spending. The second recommendation calls for a National Infrastructure Bank to be led by an independent board of directors to invest in national projects. Lastly, the report calls for an Oil security and Price Stabilization fee which would maneuver oil taxes in way that acts countercyclical to volatile gas prices, thus relieving some of the pain at the pump.
Read the Fact Sheet
Related recent Blogs
- New "Gigafactory" set to create thousands of jobs in the U.S. • by TGarland • 07/31/2014
- Congress Still Hasn't Made a Fix to the Highway Trust Fund • by mmcmullan • 07/30/2014
- UCLA Flood: A Real Life of Example of What Happens When We Ignore Our Infrastructure • by elizabethbb • 07/30/2014
- Candidate Watch: We Need a Few More Details, Terri Lynn Land • by elizabethbb • 07/29/2014
- Fact Check: Standing Up Against Unfair Trade, Kentucky Edition • by TGarland • 07/25/2014
- Strengthened Workforce Training is Great — and We Can Do More • by elizabethbb • 07/23/2014
- Americans Want Trade Agreements that Do Not Undermine Manufacturing Jobs, New Poll Finds • by TGarland • 07/23/2014
- Highlights from AAM's Trip to Detroit for Netroots Nation 2014 • by elizabethbb • 07/23/2014
- Toxic Fast Food: Just the Latest Scandal Involving Made-in-China Products. • by elizabethbb • 07/22/2014
- Foxx Calls on Congress to Pass Long-Term Fix to the Highway Trust Fund • by TGarland • 07/21/2014