A reworked Bay Bridge opens in California
There’s big news out in California today: The San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge’s eastern span, years late and a few billion dollars over budget, is open and the traffic is flowing.
We’re sure that Bay Area commuters are happy to see the construction end. But despite the cost and time overruns, we at the Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) think they would have been even happier to have seen the bridge – an iconic image of northern California – Made In America.
In an effort to keep costs down (which, at a total cost of $6.4 billion, didn’t happen anyway) then-Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger sent construction work on the refurbished portion of the bridge’s most critical feature – its span – to China. He eschewed federal money and the Buy American strings attached to it to do so.
We thought that was a pretty weak move by the governator, and even bought billboards to say so. And while this battle is over and done with, there are others coming down the pike...or in this case, the interstate. When New York puts a seal of approval on the reconstruction plans for the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge (part of I-278) that connects Staten Island to Brooklyn across the mouth of New York Harbor, will the state eschew American steelmakers in favor of government-subsidized manufacturers in China?
We hope not! But we’ll be watching, just in case.
Related recent Blogs
- Congress Still Hasn't Made a Fix to the Highway Trust Fund • by mmcmullan • 07/30/2014
- UCLA Flood: A Real Life of Example of What Happens When We Ignore Our Infrastructure • by elizabethbb • 07/30/2014
- Candidate Watch: We Need a Few More Details, Terri Lynn Land • by elizabethbb • 07/29/2014
- Fact Check: Standing Up Against Unfair Trade, Kentucky Edition • by TGarland • 07/25/2014
- Strengthened Workforce Training is Great — and We Can Do More • by elizabethbb • 07/23/2014
- Americans Want Trade Agreements that Do Not Undermine Manufacturing Jobs, New Poll Finds • by TGarland • 07/23/2014
- Highlights from AAM's Trip to Detroit for Netroots Nation 2014 • by elizabethbb • 07/23/2014
- Toxic Fast Food: Just the Latest Scandal Involving Made-in-China Products. • by elizabethbb • 07/22/2014
- Foxx Calls on Congress to Pass Long-Term Fix to the Highway Trust Fund • by TGarland • 07/21/2014
- Back From Detroit, Eyes on Washington • by elizabethbb • 07/21/2014