Republican leader questions Romney's ability to keep campaign promise on China currency
At ManufactureThis we've previously discussed Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney’s promise to label China a currency manipulator on his first day as president.
Today, the former governor of Michigan and current president of the Business Roundtable, Republican John Engler, called into question the feasibility of that promise.
Mike Dorning, writing for Bloomberg, reported that Engler made the comments during a international trade themed breakfast roundtable at the Republican National Convention.
Asked whether he supported Romney’s pledge of an immediate designation, Engler responded, 'I don’t think that he will' – though the business association leader added, 'I think he will take a look at it.'
Engler called designation of China as a currency manipulator 'very politically delicate,' given the sensitivities of the Chinese government leadership.
Dorning also reported that Engler cited "procedural hurdles” as part of a reason Romney might not keep his campaign promise.
Read more here.
Related recent Blogs
- Clean energy manufacturing gets help from DOE • by TGarland • 12/12/2013
- John Porcari, DOT Buy America champion, is stepping down • by mmcmullan • 12/12/2013
- Now there's an idea: Using trade policy as leverage with China • by mmcmullan • 12/11/2013
- 5 Keys to American-Made Holiday Shopping • by TGarland • 12/11/2013
- December 11, 2013: US Trade Rep has not discussed this "currency manipulation" everyone keeps talking about • by mmcmullan • 12/11/2013
- The Big Three set the stage for a manufacturing renaissance • by TGarland • 12/10/2013
- Pharmaceutical companies' interests are covered in the TPP -- as for everyone else? Ehh ... • by mmcmullan • 12/09/2013
- A swing and a miss for Biden in Asia • by TGarland • 12/09/2013
- Kickstarting a manufacturing renaissance • by TGarland • 12/06/2013
- U.S. Manufacturing Gains 27,000 Jobs in November: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) Statement. • by scapozzola • 12/06/2013