A Report That's "Damning": Why the U.S. urgently needs to rebuild its infrastructure.
Calling it a "damning" report, Gerard says America has endangered itself by allowing both its manufacturing sector and its infrastructure, like dams, roads, and bridges, to deteriorate.
Specifically, AAM's report, co-authored by Gov. Tom Ridge (the first Secretary of Homeland Security) and Col. Robert B. Stephan (a former Assistant Secretary of Homeland Security), found that America urgently needs to restore key infrastructure such as its electrical grid, public water and sewer systems, railroads, bridges, and dams. The report also advocates a rebuilding of these key areas by using American-made steel, concrete, glass, and aluminum.
Gerard says thet the result would be "a nation more capable of fending off and recovering from natural and man-made disasters. And it would be a nation with a stronger economy based on a solid manufacturing base."
Related recent Blogs
- Now there's an idea: Using trade policy as leverage with China • by mmcmullan • 12/11/2013
- 5 Keys to American-Made Holiday Shopping • by TGarland • 12/11/2013
- The Big Three set the stage for a manufacturing renaissance • by TGarland • 12/10/2013
- Pharmaceutical companies' interests are covered in the TPP -- as for everyone else? Ehh ... • by mmcmullan • 12/09/2013
- A swing and a miss for Biden in Asia • by TGarland • 12/09/2013
- Kickstarting a manufacturing renaissance • by TGarland • 12/06/2013
- U.S. Manufacturing Gains 27,000 Jobs in November: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) Statement. • by scapozzola • 12/06/2013
- Indiana manufacturing program expands • by TGarland • 12/05/2013
- Scott Paul: Keep skilled jobs for skilled workers in Washington • by mmcmullan • 12/05/2013
- A bad time to sideline trade talks • by mmcmullan • 12/04/2013