ReMaking America must include expanding partnerships between education and industry
Here at the Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) we’ve been talking a lot the last two weeks about workforce development and getting students interested in manufacturing.
This week,at FABTECH Expo in Chicago, the AAM crew talked with professors and students from tech and community colleges about their futures in manufacturing .
Last week, AAM hosted a Google+ Hangout with Stacey Jarrett Wagner of the National Institute of Standards and Technology and Sridhar Kota of the University of Michigan. Wagner discussed the importance of partnerships between community colleges and manufacturers.
Stacey Jarrett Wagner argues for the expansion of these partnershipsin ReMaking America:
Expand the National Science Foundation’s Advanced Technology Education (ATE) Centers and Connect Them to Education Providers:
Expanded funding for the ATE program would support community colleges working in partnership with industry, economic development agencies, workforce investment boards and secondary and tertiary educational institutions — with an eye toward advanced-manufacturing disciplines. The centers should be linked with stem programs at all educational levels and with industry-Ph.D. fellows programs to increase the quality of research and education.
There are thousands of opportunities across the U.S. for students interested in a manufacturing career, but we must present these opportunities as a viable career path.
Related recent Blogs
- Foxx takes to the road to push for transportation fixes • by mmcmullan • 04/17/2014
- Obama vs. Bush: Who actually made more progress in revaluing China’s yuan? • by scapozzola • 04/16/2014
- Treasury decision on China currency will cost U.S. jobs: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) Statement. • by scapozzola • 04/15/2014
- Gathered in the USA • by TGarland • 04/15/2014
- OPINION: Fix the vulnerable defense industrial base • by mmcmullan • 04/14/2014
- April 14, 2014: Opinions, opinions, and Peeps • by mmcmullan • 04/14/2014
- Fashion Friday: Accessorizing the American-made way • by LRaup • 04/11/2014
- Manufacturing Jobs & #EqualPay • by LRaup • 04/11/2014
- April 11, 2014: Cherry blossoms! • by mmcmullan • 04/11/2014
- Rep. Sandy Levin talks currency and the TPP • by mmcmullan • 04/10/2014