ReMaking America must include expanding partnerships between education and industry
Here at the Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) we’ve been talking a lot the last two weeks about workforce development and getting students interested in manufacturing.
This week,at FABTECH Expo in Chicago, the AAM crew talked with professors and students from tech and community colleges about their futures in manufacturing .
Last week, AAM hosted a Google+ Hangout with Stacey Jarrett Wagner of the National Institute of Standards and Technology and Sridhar Kota of the University of Michigan. Wagner discussed the importance of partnerships between community colleges and manufacturers.
Stacey Jarrett Wagner argues for the expansion of these partnershipsin ReMaking America:
Expand the National Science Foundation’s Advanced Technology Education (ATE) Centers and Connect Them to Education Providers:
Expanded funding for the ATE program would support community colleges working in partnership with industry, economic development agencies, workforce investment boards and secondary and tertiary educational institutions — with an eye toward advanced-manufacturing disciplines. The centers should be linked with stem programs at all educational levels and with industry-Ph.D. fellows programs to increase the quality of research and education.
There are thousands of opportunities across the U.S. for students interested in a manufacturing career, but we must present these opportunities as a viable career path.
Related recent Blogs
- A Boy Scout badge in advanced manufacturing? • by TGarland • 03/10/2014
- March 10, 2014: Making moves for manufacturing • by mmcmullan • 03/10/2014
- Donald Trump addresses CPAC crowds on key AAM issues • by LRaup • 03/07/2014
- March 7, 2014: Weak #MFG job growth and a big trade deficit earn Obama the saddest of trombones • by mmcmullan • 03/07/2014
- It wasn't all weather: What's behind the weak manufacturing jobs report. • by admin • 03/07/2014
- A Berry good story on American-made footwear • by mmcmullan • 03/06/2014
- White House economic adviser Gene Sperling shares words of wisdom on his way out • by TGarland • 03/05/2014
- EPI: Address currency manipulation and you address the jobs deficit • by mmcmullan • 03/05/2014
- A first look at the president's budget proposal for 2015 • by mmcmullan • 03/04/2014
- The U.S. needs a stronger domestic supply chain in the event of an attack • by TGarland • 03/04/2014