ReMaking America includes a race to the top
Manufacturing is largely considered the backbone and foundation of a strong U.S. economy. With the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) negotiations underway and the Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership (TTIP) just beginning, it’s important to remember that there are many ways to compete when it comes to manufacturing.
Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) President Scott Paul explains in ReMaking America:
Without more manufacturing, it will be virtually impossible to rebuild the middle class, reduce the trade deficit or innovate the next amazing generation of products. And smart observers have noted that the “race to the bottom” isn’t the only way to compete in manufacturing. We know America will never win such a race, nor should it want to. America is very good at winning races to the top.
U.S. Trade Representative Michael Froman echoed these thoughts at a recent event in Washington, but we're waiting to see action. A “race to the top” approach will have to include provisions to combat currency manipulation in new trade agreements, otherwise, American companies and jobs are at risk.
Find out more about currency manipulation and urge your representative to get tough on China’s currency manipulation.
Related recent Blogs
- Faribault Woolen Mill Thriving in its Third Century of Business • by elizabethbb • 08/01/2014
- August 1, 2014: The Rare, Solid Manufacturing Jobs Report • by mmcmullan • 08/01/2014
- Manufacturing sector adds 28,000 jobs in July: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) statement. • by scapozzola • 08/01/2014
- New "Gigafactory" set to create thousands of jobs in the U.S. • by TGarland • 07/31/2014
- Congress Still Hasn't Made a Fix to the Highway Trust Fund • by mmcmullan • 07/30/2014
- UCLA Flood: A Real Life of Example of What Happens When We Ignore Our Infrastructure • by elizabethbb • 07/30/2014
- Candidate Watch: We Need a Few More Details, Terri Lynn Land • by elizabethbb • 07/29/2014
- Fact Check: Standing Up Against Unfair Trade, Kentucky Edition • by TGarland • 07/25/2014
- Strengthened Workforce Training is Great — and We Can Do More • by elizabethbb • 07/23/2014
- Americans Want Trade Agreements that Do Not Undermine Manufacturing Jobs, New Poll Finds • by TGarland • 07/23/2014