Price-fixing fines come on the heels of TPP negotiations
We're guessing the Detroit Three would say we told you so.
Earlier this year, American automakers were vocal about keeping Japan out of the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) trade negotiations.
Their concerns were partially vindicated yesterday by news of bad behavior by Japanese companies, when the Justice Department announced findings from a probe into price-fixing in the auto parts market.
Nine companies based in Japan and two executives have agreed to plead guilty and to pay almost $745 million in fines for their roles in long-running conspiracies to fix the prices of auto parts sold to U.S. car manufacturers.
These settlements add to the ongoing investigation that so far has found 20 companies and 21 executives guilty of price-fixing and has resulted in a total of $1.6 billion in fines.
News like this adds to concerns from the auto companies and workers alike that the TPP agreement will reward anti-competitive action by one of the world’s foremost currency manipulators. Not cool, Japan.
Related recent Blogs
- IMTS 2014: The View From AAM's Booth • by mmcmullan • 09/12/2014
- Sneak Peek: Titan-American Built Star Titan Gilroy Chats with Scott Paul about the Made-in-China Bay Bridge • by elizabethbb • 09/10/2014
- Public and Private Sectors Come Together to Promote Infrastructure Investment • by elizabethbb • 09/09/2014
- Berry Could Be a Big Win for American Shoemakers • by mmcmullan • 09/08/2014
- Visit AAM This Week at the International Manufacturing Technology Show • by TGarland • 09/07/2014
- Manufacturing sector gains zero jobs in August: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) statement. • by scapozzola • 09/05/2014
- China trade deficit hits new record in July: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) statement. • by scapozzola • 09/04/2014
- Green Bay v. Seattle: Both Cities Victors in Manufacturing • by elizabethbb • 09/04/2014
- Joe Biden Praises Apprenticeships at NH Shipyard • by mmcmullan • 09/03/2014
- We’re Celebrating Factory Man — and You Could Win a Copy! • by elizabethbb • 09/03/2014