PRESTOWITZ: "U.S. orthodoxy on China is nonsense"
Hmm, what's really important in U.S.-China trade?
Is it the $273 billion trade deficit that the U.S. racked up with Beijing last year?
Is it the brutal repression of human rights by the ruling regime in Beijing?
Is it forced technology transfer for U.S. companies looking to sell to the Chinese market?
Or is it ensuring that China can continue with "job-creating investment" in the U.S.?
Where to begin, huh-- so many problems to deal with regarding China. As former Reagan administration staffer Clyde Prestowits points out, though, in a new Foreign Policy op-ed, it's amazing that America's media elite are worried about China not feeling welcome when investing in the U.S.:
If China is becoming more overtly and harshly repressive and shutting down run-of-the-mill U.S. Embassy activity in Beijing, why do the Times and the Post insist that the Obama administration try to make it easier for U.S. companies to invest there? Wouldn't such investment only prove to the Chinese that Americans don't care about repression even of their own embassy as long as their companies can put a few more factories in China?
Similarly, why do the media mavens want U.S. companies to invest in China when the rising U.S. trade deficit is contributing to rising unemployment? Wouldn't it be better if they invested in America?
Prestowitz is completely correct. What's needed is realism in U.S.-China trade relations. Click here to read more.
Related recent Blogs
- May 24, 2013 Headlines: U.S.-EU trade deal exemptions, investing in U.S. manufacturing, and more. • by LRaup • 05/24/2013
- Washington State Bridge Collapse Illustrates Perils of Failing Infrastructure. • by scapozzola • 05/24/2013
- Reps. Daniel Lipinski (D-IL) and Michael Grimm (R-NY) form new Congressional Public Transportation Caucus. • by scapozzola • 05/23/2013
- Homeland Security and Gov. Tom Ridge • by scapozzola • 05/23/2013
- CNBC: Is a Chinese construction firm benefiting from its Beijing connection? • by scapozzola • 05/23/2013
- May 23, 2013 Headlines: Gains in the job market, small businesses manufacturing in the U.S.A., and more. • by LRaup • 05/23/2013
- VIDEO: Concerns about America's defense industrial base • by scapozzola • 05/22/2013
- CNBC: China investing in U.S. • by scapozzola • 05/22/2013
- In Indiana, ongoing concerns about subsidized auto parts from China and Japan • by scapozzola • 05/22/2013
- RADIO: AAM's Scott Paul on Leslie Marshall Radio Show, May 20, 2013 • by scapozzola • 05/21/2013