President Obama Visits Ohio today
President Obama visit Columbus, Ohio today. No doubt, he's walking into a state that has had it rough in the past decade or so, losing almost 300,000 manufacturing jobs between 2000-2010. Between 2008-2009 alone, the state lost 17.5% of its manufacturing workforce.
The U.S. trade deficit with China hasn't been helpful to the Buckeye state either, costing 103,397 jobs between 2001-2010.
With jobs, jobs, jobs first and foremost on the minds of Ohioans, it will be interesting to see if the president talks about his plans for boosting America's manufacturing competitiveness.
In the State of the Union, President Obama called for more efforts to ramp up high-tech manufacturing, plus the creation of a new trade enforcement task force. Despite the president's concerns about "unfair trade practices in countries like China," he has not taken action on China's deliberately undervalued currency, which artificially lowers the price of China's exports.
Related recent Blogs
- President Obama visits Baltimore factory to promote infrastructure investment as a means of revitalizing the middle class • by LDonia • 05/17/2013
- It's Fashion Friday, but NoCargo carries more than just American-made clothing! • by LDonia • 05/17/2013
- May 17, 2013 Headlines: Strengthening our national security, focusing on jobs, and more. • by LRaup • 05/17/2013
- Five reasons you should be concerned about the U.S. military's reliance on foreign manufacturers. • by LDonia • 05/16/2013
- Looking for a manufacturing job? Consider heading to one of these ten metro areas! • by mmcmullan • 05/16/2013
- National Retail Federation dismisses global safety plan for garment factories while Cambodian shoe factory collapses. • by LDonia • 05/16/2013
- OPINION: Aren't we better off buying safe, Made-in-USA products? • by scapozzola • 05/16/2013
- May 16, 2013 Headlines: factory collapses in Cambodia, U.S. retail industry dismisses plan for safer working conditions, & more • by LDonia • 05/16/2013
- U.S. Senate Passes Water Resources Development Act (WRDA) with Buy America Amendment Included. • by scapozzola • 05/15/2013
- And the crystal ball says that U.S. manufacturing is going up/down/sideways... • by scapozzola • 05/15/2013