President Obama to Visit Allison Transmission in Indianapolis, IN
Today President Obama will Tour Allison Transmission in Indianapolis, IN. Allison employs approximately 2,500 workers in Indiana and last month announced a plan to expand its Indianapolis operations that will create up to 205 new jobs by 2013.
Today President Obama will tour Allison Transmission’s headquarters in Indianapolis and speak to approximately 750 workers and invited guests about his long term plan to protect consumers against rising oil prices and decrease oil imports while ensuring a cleaner, safer, and more secure energy future.
During his tour of Allison Transmission’s facility, the President will view each section of the assembly process for the 3000 Series transmission. This is the base transmission for the new hybrid propulsion system that will be in production in 2013, the H3000. The H3000 propulsion system is being directly supported by an American Recovery and Reinvestment Act Matching Grant through the Department of Energy.
This tour is part of Obama’s plans to “secure America’s energy future”:
In 2009, the Administration announced groundbreaking joint national fuel efficiency and greenhouse gas standards for cars and light-duty trucks built in 2012-2016. Together, these national standards will raise average fuel economy to 35.5 miles per gallon by 2016, while maintaining consumer choice. This national car rule alone is estimated to save 1.8 billion barrels of oil over the life of the program and save the average vehicle owner $3,000.
Related recent Blogs
- Maine State Senate Passes Buy American Legislation • by scapozzola • 06/19/2013
- Generally favorable manufacturing survey for New York state • by scapozzola • 06/18/2013
- President Obama talks about China on Charlie Rose. • by scapozzola • 06/18/2013
- Checking-in from manufacturing conferences in Wisconsin • by LDonia • 06/17/2013
- Make the right choice for your pet -- buy American-made • by TGarland • 06/17/2013
- A Discussion on the Obama-Xi Summit • by TGarland • 06/13/2013
- Chart of the Day: A tough three months for America's manufacturing sector • by LDonia • 06/13/2013
- Manufacturing employment will level off, says report • by mmcmullan • 06/12/2013
- The Relationship Between the U.S. and China • by TGarland • 06/12/2013
- June 12, 2013 Headlines: The strain that surveillance has on trade deals, confidence in the job market, and more. • by LRaup • 06/12/2013