President Obama to Tour Alcoa Factory in Iowa, Discusses Economic Importance of American Manufacturing
On the heels of his speech on advanced manufacturing last Friday at Carnegie Mellon University, President Obama will be touring the Alcoa aluminum factory in Battendorf, IA. From the White House press release:
On Tuesday, June 28th, President Obama will travel to Iowa and visit the Alcoa Davenport Works Factory in Bettendorf, where he will tour the facility and discuss the critical role that the manufacturing sector plays in the American economy. Manufacturing serves as the backbone of communities across the country and the continued revitalization of the manufacturing sector is critical to our nation’s success as we compete in a 21st century global economy.
We’re glad to see that the president is making an effort to highlight the importance of American manufacturing for our economy and to introduce programs to kick start a “manufacturing renaissances." But, as we said last Friday, we still have a long way to go.
America has been falling behind in manufacturing while the rest of the world aggressively supports its industry. We are playing catch-up following decades of neglect. Programs such as the Advanced Manufacturing Partnership Obama introduced last week show a lot of promise, but the efforts will be futile unless our manufacturers also have a solid foundation of support for challenges like unfair trade practices, currency manipulation, developing a skilled workforce, and a more efficient infrastructure.
Related recent Blogs
- Reps. Daniel Lipinski (D-IL) and Michael Grimm (R-NY) form new Congressional Public Transportation Caucus. • by scapozzola • 05/23/2013
- Homeland Security and Gov. Tom Ridge • by scapozzola • 05/23/2013
- CNBC: Is a Chinese construction firm benefiting from its Beijing connection? • by scapozzola • 05/23/2013
- May 23, 2013 Headlines: Gains in the job market, small businesses manufacturing in the U.S.A., and more. • by LRaup • 05/23/2013
- VIDEO: Concerns about America's defense industrial base • by scapozzola • 05/22/2013
- CNBC: China investing in U.S. • by scapozzola • 05/22/2013
- In Indiana, ongoing concerns about subsidized auto parts from China and Japan • by scapozzola • 05/22/2013
- RADIO: AAM's Scott Paul on Leslie Marshall Radio Show, May 20, 2013 • by scapozzola • 05/21/2013
- May 21, 2013 Headlines: Tensions with North Korea, a stronger WTO, and more. • by LRaup • 05/21/2013
- Shoring up our security means addressing the China challenge • by mmcmullan • 05/20/2013