President Obama presses for renewable energy manufacturing
Today, President Obama is visiting a wind manufacturer, TPI Composites, in Newton, Iowa.
Newton has had it rough in recent years. For a long time, Maytag manufactured washers and dryers in Newton. Unfortuately, 1,900 employees lost their jobs after the company was acquired by Whirlpool in 2006.
Thankfully, Newton has experienced an uptick in jobs lately. TPI Composites, which manufactures wind blades for major turbine manufacturers, built a plant in Newton in 2008. Today, the company employs more than 700 workers.
TPI Composites would point to the federal Production Tax Credit (PTC) as one key to their success. The PTC provides a 2.2 cent per kilowatt-hour tax credit for the first ten years of electricity production from utility-scale turbines.
Congress has vacillated on extending or retiring the PTC, though, and the President is expected to use his visit to TPI as an opportunity to urge Congress to pass legislation that will extend the PTC. He will also press for an expansion of the 48C Advanced Energy Manufacturing Tax Credit that supports American-made clean energy manufacturing.
There are good rasons to push for a larger U.S. wind turbine industry. Wind component production supports nearly 20,000 direct jobs along with over 30,000 manufacturing jobs in its supply chain.
The Alliance for American Maufacturing (AAM) has repeatedly pressed for federal effort to boost renewable energy production in the U.S. Specifically, AAM's "Plan to Save Manufacturing" calls for efforts to:
- Expand and make permanent clean energy manufacturing tax credits and industrial energy efficiency grants to allow America to lead on green job creation
- Link federal loan guarantees for new energy infrastructure projects, including nuclear, wind, solar, other renewable energy sources, as well as the smart grid, with expanding domestic supply chains
Related recent Blogs
- Nanette Lepore's New Shoe • by scapozzola • 05/24/2013
- May 24, 2013 Headlines: U.S.-EU trade deal exemptions, investing in U.S. manufacturing, and more. • by LRaup • 05/24/2013
- Washington State Bridge Collapse Illustrates Perils of Failing Infrastructure. • by scapozzola • 05/24/2013
- Reps. Daniel Lipinski (D-IL) and Michael Grimm (R-NY) form new Congressional Public Transportation Caucus. • by scapozzola • 05/23/2013
- Homeland Security and Gov. Tom Ridge • by scapozzola • 05/23/2013
- CNBC: Is a Chinese construction firm benefiting from its Beijing connection? • by scapozzola • 05/23/2013
- May 23, 2013 Headlines: Gains in the job market, small businesses manufacturing in the U.S.A., and more. • by LRaup • 05/23/2013
- VIDEO: Concerns about America's defense industrial base • by scapozzola • 05/22/2013
- CNBC: China investing in U.S. • by scapozzola • 05/22/2013
- In Indiana, ongoing concerns about subsidized auto parts from China and Japan • by scapozzola • 05/22/2013