President Obama outlines manufacturing goals in convention speech
At the Democratic National Convention last night, President Obama outlined a number of goals, including two specifically oriented toward the manufacturing sector:
• Create one million new manufacturing jobs by the end of 2016
• Double exports by the end of 2014
Interestingly, the goal of creating "one million new manufacturing jobs" essentially lays down a marker.
If the president were to start that plan today, the U.S. would need to add nearly 19,000 manufacturing jobs per month from now until the end of 2016 to reach one million new jobs.
In the past two years, the U.S. has added an average of 17,250 manufacturing jobs/month. However, a seven-year expansion of manufacturing jobs would be unprecedented.
As the Bureau of Labor Statistics reports:
Manufacturing employment edged down in August (-15,000). A decline in motor vehicles and parts (-8,000) partially offset a gain in July. Auto manufacturers laid off fewer workers for factory retooling than usual in July, and fewer workers than usual were recalled in August.
Read more about the latest monthly jobs report, and the challenges facing the U.S. manufacturing sector.
Related recent Blogs
- President Obama visits Baltimore factory to promote infrastructure investment as a means of revitalizing the middle class • by LDonia • 05/17/2013
- It's Fashion Friday, but NoCargo carries more than just American-made clothing! • by LDonia • 05/17/2013
- May 17, 2013 Headlines: Strengthening our national security, focusing on jobs, and more. • by LRaup • 05/17/2013
- Five reasons you should be concerned about the U.S. military's reliance on foreign manufacturers. • by LDonia • 05/16/2013
- Looking for a manufacturing job? Consider heading to one of these ten metro areas! • by mmcmullan • 05/16/2013
- National Retail Federation dismisses global safety plan for garment factories while Cambodian shoe factory collapses. • by LDonia • 05/16/2013
- OPINION: Aren't we better off buying safe, Made-in-USA products? • by scapozzola • 05/16/2013
- May 16, 2013 Headlines: factory collapses in Cambodia, U.S. retail industry dismisses plan for safer working conditions, & more • by LDonia • 05/16/2013
- U.S. Senate Passes Water Resources Development Act (WRDA) with Buy America Amendment Included. • by scapozzola • 05/15/2013
- And the crystal ball says that U.S. manufacturing is going up/down/sideways... • by scapozzola • 05/15/2013