President Obama outlines manufacturing goals in convention speech
At the Democratic National Convention last night, President Obama outlined a number of goals, including two specifically oriented toward the manufacturing sector:
• Create one million new manufacturing jobs by the end of 2016
• Double exports by the end of 2014
Interestingly, the goal of creating "one million new manufacturing jobs" essentially lays down a marker.
If the president were to start that plan today, the U.S. would need to add nearly 19,000 manufacturing jobs per month from now until the end of 2016 to reach one million new jobs.
In the past two years, the U.S. has added an average of 17,250 manufacturing jobs/month. However, a seven-year expansion of manufacturing jobs would be unprecedented.
As the Bureau of Labor Statistics reports:
Manufacturing employment edged down in August (-15,000). A decline in motor vehicles and parts (-8,000) partially offset a gain in July. Auto manufacturers laid off fewer workers for factory retooling than usual in July, and fewer workers than usual were recalled in August.
Read more about the latest monthly jobs report, and the challenges facing the U.S. manufacturing sector.
Related recent Blogs
- Toxic Fast Food: Just the Latest Scandal Involving Made-in-China Products. • by elizabethbb • 07/22/2014
- Drink Up with a Made in America Tervis Tumbler • by elizabethbb • 07/21/2014
- Foxx Calls on Congress to Pass Long-Term Fix to the Highway Trust Fund • by TGarland • 07/21/2014
- Back From Detroit, Eyes on Washington • by elizabethbb • 07/21/2014
- So Excellent, So Bodacious: Check Out Some American-made Smartphone Style • by mmcmullan • 07/18/2014
- President Obama proposes public-private infrastructure initiative: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) statement. • by scapozzola • 07/17/2014
- We’re Live From Netroots Nation! • by elizabethbb • 07/17/2014
- So Much For Promises: China's Manipulating Its Currency, Again • by mmcmullan • 07/17/2014
- The OCTG Trade Case Heads to the International Trade Commission • by TGarland • 07/16/2014
- Postcard from Iowa: AAM Field Coordinators Hop The Fence, Hang With Democrats • by mmcmullan • 07/16/2014