President Obama Closes Down Jobs Council
In January 2011, President Obama launched a Council on Jobs and Competitiveness, to be chaired by General Electric CEO Jeff Immelt, and aided by a panel of prominent business leaders and economists.
At the time, Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) President Scott Paul expressed strong concerns about the choice of Immelt to head a council that would hopefully press for the creation of more manufacturing jobs in the U.S. In a Huffington Post editorial, Paul called Immelt an "outsourcing CEO" and explained:
You would have difficulty finding a company that has outsourced more jobs and closed more American factories than GE. While they have slashed their American workforce to fewer than 150,000, GE has dramatically expanded its global presence, now employing over 300,000 workers worldwide. Yes, GE has brought a trickle of jobs back to the U.S. over the past two years, but it still outsources more than it insources. And those executives at GE are not clueless--they realize the value of good publicity as it announces new hires at a time like this. But they do not devote nearly the same amount of publicity to their factory closings.
Now comes the news that President Obama will let his jobs council expire this week without renewing its charter. As the Associated Press's Josh Lederman sees it, the council is "winding down one source of input from the business community even as unemployment remains stubbornly high."
The answer seems simple, actually. Why not reconstitute the president's council, but with skilled people who are focused more on job creation in the U.S. than overseas?
And why not take a page from AAM's longstanding 'Plan to Save Manufacturing.'
Related recent Blogs
- Foxx takes to the road to push for transportation fixes • by mmcmullan • 04/17/2014
- Obama vs. Bush: Who actually made more progress in revaluing China’s yuan? • by scapozzola • 04/16/2014
- Treasury decision on China currency will cost U.S. jobs: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) Statement. • by scapozzola • 04/15/2014
- Gathered in the USA • by TGarland • 04/15/2014
- OPINION: Fix the vulnerable defense industrial base • by mmcmullan • 04/14/2014
- April 14, 2014: Opinions, opinions, and Peeps • by mmcmullan • 04/14/2014
- Fashion Friday: Accessorizing the American-made way • by LRaup • 04/11/2014
- Manufacturing Jobs & #EqualPay • by LRaup • 04/11/2014
- April 11, 2014: Cherry blossoms! • by mmcmullan • 04/11/2014
- Rep. Sandy Levin talks currency and the TPP • by mmcmullan • 04/10/2014