President Obama announces first five economic "Promise Zones"
Today, President Obama will announce the first five economic “Promise Zones”—fulfilling a State of the Union promise he made last February. The first five Zones, located in San Antonio, Philadelphia, Los Angeles, Southeastern Kentucky, and the Choctaw Nation of Oklahoma, will be areas of focus for creating jobs through partnerships with local businesses and community leaders.
President Obama’s 2013 State of the Union focused heavily on manufacturing, so the Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) is encouraged to see rhetoric become reality.
Said AAM President Scott Paul:
The creation of new promise zones offers hope to communities facing some long odds. We’re pleased that training and a focus on manufacturing are seen as solutions for some of these communities. More people will have the chance to achieve the American dream.
The President is expected to hold an event in the East Room of the White House at 2 p.m. EST to unveil the first five “Promise Zones.”
Caption: President Obama shakes hands during the 2013 State of the Union address.
Image via White House Flickr, used following United States government work guidelines.
Related recent Blogs
- More Exports Are Nice, but Let’s Not Forget about Surging Imports • by elizabethbb • 09/02/2014
- Budweiser Made in America Festival Lives Up to Its Name • by TGarland • 09/02/2014
- Labor Day Travel a Reminder Why We Need Infrastructure Investment • by elizabethbb • 08/29/2014
- Terri Lynn Land’s Transportation Plan is… Interesting • by elizabethbb • 08/28/2014
- Made in China: “A Mistake That Will Be Hard to Turn Around For Decades” • by elizabethbb • 08/27/2014
- American Workers Remind Us What Labor Day Is All About • by TGarland • 08/26/2014
- Burger King Brouhaha Shows Tax Reform Debate Will Be Potent • by mmcmullan • 08/26/2014
- The Fourth Option: A National Manufacturing Strategy • by mmcmullan • 08/25/2014
- ITC Finds South Korean Dumping of OCTG Pipe: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) Statement. • by scapozzola • 08/22/2014
- Trade Data Pours Cold Water on "Rising Star" Outlook for American Manufacturing • by mmcmullan • 08/21/2014