President Obama announces first five economic "Promise Zones"
Today, President Obama will announce the first five economic “Promise Zones”—fulfilling a State of the Union promise he made last February. The first five Zones, located in San Antonio, Philadelphia, Los Angeles, Southeastern Kentucky, and the Choctaw Nation of Oklahoma, will be areas of focus for creating jobs through partnerships with local businesses and community leaders.
President Obama’s 2013 State of the Union focused heavily on manufacturing, so the Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) is encouraged to see rhetoric become reality.
Said AAM President Scott Paul:
The creation of new promise zones offers hope to communities facing some long odds. We’re pleased that training and a focus on manufacturing are seen as solutions for some of these communities. More people will have the chance to achieve the American dream.
The President is expected to hold an event in the East Room of the White House at 2 p.m. EST to unveil the first five “Promise Zones.”
Caption: President Obama shakes hands during the 2013 State of the Union address.
Image via White House Flickr, used following United States government work guidelines.
Related recent Blogs
- Trade Data Pours Cold Water on "Rising Star" Outlook for American Manufacturing • by mmcmullan • 08/21/2014
- U.S. Named Among “Rising Global Stars” in Manufacturing • by elizabethbb • 08/20/2014
- If America Won’t Invest in America’s Infrastructure, China Will • by elizabethbb • 08/19/2014
- Yes, Manufacturing Jobs Are Coming Back. But Will Progress Happen Fast Enough? • by elizabethbb • 08/18/2014
- No Electricity Needed for Corter Leather & Cloth • by elizabethbb • 08/15/2014
- Improving Our Railways: A Key Part of Rebuilding America • by elizabethbb • 08/14/2014
- Five Tests Walmart Must Pass to Show its 'Made In America' Street Cred • by spaul • 08/13/2014
- More Evidence the "Jobs Recovery" Isn’t All It’s Cracked Up to Be • by elizabethbb • 08/12/2014
- More Work to Do, Indeed • by elizabethbb • 08/11/2014
- August 11, 2014: Chinese Textile Manufacturing ... in the Carolinas • by mmcmullan • 08/11/2014