President Obama announces first five economic "Promise Zones"
Today, President Obama will announce the first five economic “Promise Zones”—fulfilling a State of the Union promise he made last February. The first five Zones, located in San Antonio, Philadelphia, Los Angeles, Southeastern Kentucky, and the Choctaw Nation of Oklahoma, will be areas of focus for creating jobs through partnerships with local businesses and community leaders.
President Obama’s 2013 State of the Union focused heavily on manufacturing, so the Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) is encouraged to see rhetoric become reality.
Said AAM President Scott Paul:
The creation of new promise zones offers hope to communities facing some long odds. We’re pleased that training and a focus on manufacturing are seen as solutions for some of these communities. More people will have the chance to achieve the American dream.
The President is expected to hold an event in the East Room of the White House at 2 p.m. EST to unveil the first five “Promise Zones.”
Caption: President Obama shakes hands during the 2013 State of the Union address.
Image via White House Flickr, used following United States government work guidelines.
Related recent Blogs
- What good's a trade agreement if you don't enforce the on-the-books trade rules? • by mmcmullan • 03/11/2014
- A National Manufacturing Strategy could be the "be all, end all" for depressed wages • by LRaup • 03/11/2014
- A Boy Scout badge in advanced manufacturing? • by TGarland • 03/10/2014
- March 10, 2014: Making moves for manufacturing • by mmcmullan • 03/10/2014
- Donald Trump addresses CPAC crowds on key AAM issues • by LRaup • 03/07/2014
- March 7, 2014: Weak #MFG job growth and a big trade deficit earn Obama the saddest of trombones • by mmcmullan • 03/07/2014
- It wasn't all weather: What's behind the weak manufacturing jobs report. • by admin • 03/07/2014
- A Berry good story on American-made footwear • by mmcmullan • 03/06/2014
- White House economic adviser Gene Sperling shares words of wisdom on his way out • by TGarland • 03/05/2014
- EPI: Address currency manipulation and you address the jobs deficit • by mmcmullan • 03/05/2014