Praise for Senate vote on currency bill from the Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM)
This evening, the U.S. Senate voted to move forward on S.1619, the Currency Exchange Rate Oversight Act of 2011, a bill that would provide recourse for U.S. manufacturers adversely affected by China’s ongoing currency manipulation.
Said Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) Executive Director Scott Paul:
“The message from today’s vote is clear: the Senate believes that Uncle Sam should no longer be Uncle Sucker.
“The Senate’s vote today to proceed on legislation to deter China from currency manipulation is a major victory for American workers and manufacturers. The strong, bipartisan vote should send a signal to China—as well as to the White House and House Republicans—that voters are demanding action to defend American jobs and a level playing field for U.S. businesses.
“Passage of China currency legislation will have a positive, lasting effect on American job creation, economic growth, and our manufacturing sector, at no cost to taxpayers. There is no excuse for delaying this bipartisan solution.
“The Alliance for American Manufacturing commends the leadership of Sen. Sherrod Brown (D-OH) and the large, bipartisan team of Senators that introduced China currency legislation. We’d also like to thank the tens of thousands of AAM activists who have weighed in with their elected officials.
“Currency legislation has always been a bipartisan effort. This vote furthers that notion, and we will continue to work hard for final passage in the Senate, and will not rest until the House considers this bill.
“Both the House and Senate are now on the record in favor of real, concrete action. President Obama should take notice as he prepares his Oct. 15 report to Congress and steps forward to name China as a currency manipulator.”
Related recent Blogs
- Congress Still Hasn't Made a Fix to the Highway Trust Fund • by mmcmullan • 07/30/2014
- UCLA Flood: A Real Life of Example of What Happens When We Ignore Our Infrastructure • by elizabethbb • 07/30/2014
- Candidate Watch: We Need a Few More Details, Terri Lynn Land • by elizabethbb • 07/29/2014
- Fact Check: Standing Up Against Unfair Trade, Kentucky Edition • by TGarland • 07/25/2014
- Strengthened Workforce Training is Great — and We Can Do More • by elizabethbb • 07/23/2014
- Americans Want Trade Agreements that Do Not Undermine Manufacturing Jobs, New Poll Finds • by TGarland • 07/23/2014
- Highlights from AAM's Trip to Detroit for Netroots Nation 2014 • by elizabethbb • 07/23/2014
- Toxic Fast Food: Just the Latest Scandal Involving Made-in-China Products. • by elizabethbb • 07/22/2014
- Foxx Calls on Congress to Pass Long-Term Fix to the Highway Trust Fund • by TGarland • 07/21/2014
- President Obama proposes public-private infrastructure initiative: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) statement. • by scapozzola • 07/17/2014