A Penn State student with a made in America clothing line
Looking for the perfect tee for your last sail of the season?
Well, Southern Staple has your t-shirt and koozie needs covered. All made — you guessed it — in the good ole U.S.A.
Born in a dorm room, Southern Staple was founded by current Penn State sophomore and Air Force ROTC student Nicholas Pisciotta. His inspiration comes from growing up around a lake in Virginia.
But why start your own clothing line? Megan Swiatkowski of Onward State explains:
Pisciotta says the decision to start his company came from a feeling a strong sense of Southern pride in the middle of last spring semester. He had been following companies like Southern Marsh and Southern Tide on Instagram but became disappointed when he found out where the “Southern” clothes were manufactured.
"One thing I noticed about their clothing, though, was although they claimed to be true to Southern traditions, none of their clothing was made in America, which bothered me," said Pisciotta.
At the Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) we like Pisciotta’s reasoning (and we may be slightly biased due to the overwhelming number of Penn State grads in the office).
P.S. GO STATE! Beat Michigan!
Image taken from Southern Style’s website.
Related recent Blogs
- Candidate Watch: We Need a Few More Details, Terri Lynn Land • by elizabethbb • 07/29/2014
- Fact Check: Standing Up Against Unfair Trade, Kentucky Edition • by TGarland • 07/25/2014
- Strengthened Workforce Training is Great — and We Can Do More • by elizabethbb • 07/23/2014
- Americans Want Trade Agreements that Do Not Undermine Manufacturing Jobs, New Poll Finds • by TGarland • 07/23/2014
- Highlights from AAM's Trip to Detroit for Netroots Nation 2014 • by elizabethbb • 07/23/2014
- Toxic Fast Food: Just the Latest Scandal Involving Made-in-China Products. • by elizabethbb • 07/22/2014
- Drink Up with a Made in America Tervis Tumbler • by elizabethbb • 07/21/2014
- Foxx Calls on Congress to Pass Long-Term Fix to the Highway Trust Fund • by TGarland • 07/21/2014
- Back From Detroit, Eyes on Washington • by elizabethbb • 07/21/2014
- So Excellent, So Bodacious: Check Out Some American-made Smartphone Style • by mmcmullan • 07/18/2014